Motor Not renewing car insurance in own name.

funnymunny

My car insurance is up for renewal this month. The policy is in my own name, with my husband as a named driver. We are selling my car and I will be driving my husbands car. I am a named driver on his policy so I don't think there is any need to renew my policy. Are there any implications for the future (or currently) with me no longer having my own insurance policy? I am guessing I will no longer have a no claims bonus if I want to take out insurance in my own name in the future? I think I also need to check do I have full cover under his policy or as a named driver is this only third party cover?

My car insurance is up for renewal this month. The policy is in my own name, with my husband as a named driver. We are selling my car and I will be driving my husbands car. I am a named driver on his policy so I don't think there is any need to renew my policy. Are there any implications for the future (or currently) with me no longer having my own insurance policy? I am guessing I will no longer have a no claims bonus if I want to take out insurance in my own name in the future? I think I also need to check do I have full cover under his policy or as a named driver is this only third party cover?

If you sell your car you can't renew your policy anyway as you wont have a car to insure. So that answers that. Should you require your own policy in the future, most insurers take into account your previous driving experience but this does dilute over time.

On your second point, as far as I know, most named drivers carry the same level of insurance as the policy holder, but no harm in checking.

Your NCB expires after 2 years.You can alternate getting a policy with your husband annually to preserve both NCBs should you need to get a second car in the future.

Your NCB expires after 2 years.You can alternate getting a policy with your husband annually to preserve both NCBs should you need to get a second car in the future.

Not with all insurers, Mrs. Sparkrite hadn't held a policy for years, but when she went about getting a policy in her own name an NCB was granted based on her previous NCB and the years as a named driver were taken into account also.

AFAIK, for the OP to be the policy holder then she would have to transfer ownership of the car each year as well. Could be done I suppose, but not very beneficial re. re-sale price.

AFAIK, for the OP to be the policy holder then she would have to transfer ownership of the car each year as well. Could be done I suppose, but not very beneficial re. re-sale price.

No. Husband and wife are ok in terms of insuring cars in spouses name as insurers recognise the insurable interest between the two.

No. Husband and wife are ok in terms of insuring cars in spouses name as insurers recognise the insurable interest between the two.

Ah grand, I can see the logic in this, things must have changed over the last few years because was not the case when Mrs. Sparkrite went to do it. Was told she must be the registered owner.

Thank you very much for your replies. I assumed I would lose my NCB, but it appears it may not be the case. I will check with my insurer anyway when I cancel the policy. Good idea to perhaps renew the insurance on his car in my name next time.

Back