Home Grave insurance ?

DirectDevil

Like most families we have a grave occupied by our predecessors.

On visiting the cemetry recently it occurred to me that the grave had no insurance. I was thinking of any potential public liability if there was a fault in the headstone and it fell on somebody or if a tree fell on the headstone and broke it.

I read the policy when I went home and there does not seem to be any cover for the grave. Have I missed something or is a grave not insured under a household insurance policy ?

If not, can it be covered ?

good heavens!!... well if there was a incident,the claimant could be told to forward the claim to the person(s) named on the headstone...but on a serious note I dont know the answer to your question but would guess it would be down to the management of the graveyard,ie the local council etc.

You can't get cover for grave under your house policy.

If it is a municipal cemetery, then the local authority are responsible for maintenance adn upkeep. If it is a church graveyard, the church would have a responsibility.

I think there is cover under some house policies for headstones!!! Would have to double check though.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information on this subject.

Have checked with headstone supplier about insurance but they don't know of anyone providing same. Checked also with household insurance provider but no joy there either. The graveyard don't know of any company doing it at the moment either.

Came across this on google so would like to know if anyone has used this company for this type of cover [broken link removed] Minimum premium of €150 for 5 years cover.

Haven't checked with this company yet but it is probably only available in the UK [broken link removed]

Do you actually legally own the grave?

Good point. I think so.

It was purchased by my mother. My father died and was first in. My mother then died and was second in.

She left her property evenly divided between her children so I presume that my siblings and I have equally proportionate joint ownership but not in the sense of a joint tenancy.

I hope that I am right as there is still room for a few more and I would hate to see a bun fight over who is entitled to take up residence next :)

Back