State funding for feasibility study for sole-trader?

Little Sis

I am self-employed/sole trader. I am looking at developing a new web-based venture and have been in discussions with one of the third level research centres that are positive and enthusiastic about it. I already have some clients and am now seeking to undertake a feasibility study to develop it further.

In a brief review of government agencies (Enterprise Ireland) there is a requirement to be CRO registered before I qualify for ANY funding. This is not necessarily an avenue I wish to go down at this early stage as I feel it will bring added complications to my existing business/cash flow - which functions perfectly as a legitimate entity.

Can anyone offer suggestions where I may avail of feasibility study funding which does not require me to go through this process?

Regards

Little Sis

Hi,

I am in a very similar situation to you.

What is the exact requirement with regards Enterprise Ireland and the CRO? Do they require a limited company to be set up or just a business name.

You can register a business name by filling out one form and paying around €20.

You should start with the Local Enterprise office in your area.

Your tax affairs will need to be in order but they don't necessarily limit funding to ltd companies.

I am self-employed/sole trader. I am looking at developing a new web-based venture and have been in discussions with one of the third level research centres that are positive and enthusiastic about it. I already have some clients and am now seeking to undertake a feasibility study to develop it further.

In a brief review of government agencies (Enterprise Ireland) there is a requirement to be CRO registered before I qualify for ANY funding. This is not necessarily an avenue I wish to go down at this early stage as I feel it will bring added complications to my existing business/cash flow - which functions perfectly as a legitimate entity.

Can anyone offer suggestions where I may avail of feasibility study funding which does not require me to go through this process?

Regards

Little Sis

I've just seen this, so apologies if the reply is out of date.

One approach you could take is to get the 3rd level research centre to take the lead in getting the feasibility study funding, and then have them contract you to do the bulk of the work. I've been involved in a project similar to this within the last year, though it ran into the ground for other reasons.

Back