Key Post: Preparing for a "Competency Based Interview"

Re: Preparing for a "Competency Based Interview"

Hi Colly, Ive merged your thread with a similar question which was asked last october. Have a look at the earlier posts.

aj

CCOVICH said:
I have found them quite difficult, i.e. recalling specific examples of when I demonstarted this/that.

Or what can be difficult is relating your actual skills/experience to what may be abstracted questions asked in the interview. You might not have specific experience in something that they're asking about, but you might have something similar/relevant/close to what they're looking for. And remember, don't limit your examples to your work experience. You may have shown excellent persuasion skills in getting your football club permission to use another teams pitch for training.

Remember, they'll have a bog standard set of questions which they'll ask, without much reference to what you're telling them in reply. So, you might mention something earlier in an interview that might be the specific response to another question later on. Don't duplicate answers, but make reference to other example also - "As I told you about earlier...".

Finally, don't be afraid to take time to think up answers. They're putting you on the spot, so taking 30secs to a minute to come up with answers should be acceptable. You don't have to answer in an instant.

Finally finally, interviews should be the easiest thing in the world for people going for jobs they're qualified for, or they massively interested in. You shouldn't really need advice because all you've got to do is go in and talk about how great you are in every situation (most people love talking about themselves), and how much interest you have in the job you do, and the job you'll be doing for your new employer.

Best of luck.

ronan_d_john said:
Or what can be difficult is relating your actual skills/experience to what may be abstracted questions asked in the interview. You might not have specific experience in something that they're asking about, but you might have something similar/relevant/close to what they're looking for. And remember, don't limit your examples to your work experience. You may have shown excellent persuasion skills in getting your football club permission to use another teams pitch for training.

Agreed.

Thanks guys. I am going for a job in Oracle. I was basicly told by the HR manager that the 2 interviewers will be looking for 6 main competencies - can anyone suggest what they may be?

Ring the HR manager again and ask him exactly what competencies they will be assessing - you would be surprised what some of them reveal. If he does not give you them, ask for a detailed job spec. You should be able to glean from this exactly which competencies they are looking for. Such a phone call might also fulfill the initiative competency which they would surely be looking for in a sales job ;) .

Did you get a job spec for the role? The competencies may well be in the spec.

Thanks guys, I has the interview yesterday and they called me abck later that day to say I got the job! Yea Me!

Back