2 ?'s on Telephone interviews and notice period required

JP1234

Just a couple of questions..

I got a call today from a company I sent my CV to in response to an advertisement ( so I know they are definitely recruiting) They want me to do a telephone interview tomorrow. It's a good few years since I last applied for a job (which I am still in) so am not sure how formal/informal these things are. Does anyone have any tips/advice on them. Although not call centre work the job I have gone for will involve quite a bit of time on the phone so I presume they are sussing people's phone manner out.

Second thing, in my current contract there is no specified notice period that I have to give if I wish to leave. I have been with the company for almost 5 years but the first 3 were on a one year renewable contract basis, so I have only been a permenant contracted employee for less than 2 years, is there a minimum period I am obliged to give, (I notice on the oasis.gove.ie site they only have to give me a weeks notice but couldn't find anything for the other way round) I would probably give them a month as I don't want to leave on a bad note but my relationship with them has not been too good lately and I fear once I say I am leaving it may become even more strained than it is

Telephone interview tips:

Make sure you have a quiet confortable space where you will not be interrupted. Have in front of you the CV and any other material/notes you may find useful. Also a pen and paper.

Treat it as a proper interview, which means you should dress professionally (not the full power suit, but definitely not a tracksuit and slippers!). Don't laugh, this makes a huge difference even for a phone interview. When talking, stand straight, or, even better, stand up. Your voice carries a lot better if you are standing up and you are subconciously putting yourself in a position of authority.

Talk clearly and confidently, smile (it also shows in your voice).
Best of luck!

As for the notice, be professional. Give them the month and don't assume relations will be strained. You don't have to explain your reasons for leaving ('I was ready for a change' will do). If you have holidays, use them to reduce the period you work; so if you are owed two weeks, give 4 weeks notice but let them know your last day will be in two weeks, the remainder being your holiday.

cheers,
Diziet

Thanks for that, I hadn't given any thought to dressing or standing (i suppose lying on the sofa in my dressing gown is out then;))

My relationship with them is already pretty strained and as the only paid employee - the board being volunteers I know leaving them is going to put them in a bit of a mess which will no doubt irritate them. If I do get a new job I would like to leave with a good reputation given it's a pretty small field I work in.

Well something must have worked, I got called back for a second face to face interview.

Being able to scribble notes down and refer back to things she said really seemed to help!

JP1234 said:
Well something must have worked, I got called back for a second face to face interview.

Being able to scribble notes down and refer back to things she said really seemed to help!

Good on you! Best of luck.

As for your current employers, please remember that nobody is indispensible and that they would make you redundant without a second thought if they no longer needed your services. So maybe it will put them in a bit of trouble to find someone else but you should expect them to treat you professionally, as i am sure you are professional yourself. Do a decent handover with your replacement, document procedures etc, but remember that your priority is your career. Advancing your career does not refelect badly on you.

I also feel that if you don't expect to be messed about, it is harder for your employer to mess you about, if you see what I mean. Some still try, but set you expectations and stick to them.

Good luck with the second interview.

Thanks for that.

I actually got a "subject to references" job offer from them this week so am now just waiting. I am not unduly worried by the reference thing, but I don't want to formally resign until I have a contract in my hand!

I found out, via an old post on this board, that legally I am only required to give them 1 weeks notice, though I would prefer to give them longer to find a replacement for me, but my new employers want me to start on 10th July so I have informally told people I may be leaving in the hope they will start to at least think about my replacement - it's going to be a messy handover as I am the only paid employee ( oh the joys of working for a voluntary group) and I have 6 days leave accrued already which really only gives me 22 working days left once I hand in my notice unless they pay me for the holidays. This is where I am stuck, if I work my "holiday" entitlement should I expect to be paid extra or would it just be best to leave 6 days early and get paid as normal? I have never been in this situation before so would welcome any views/experience

Diziet said:
As for your current employers, please remember that nobody is indispensible and that they would make you redundant without a second thought if they no longer needed your services.

I cant understand why not more people think like this. My Dad is a 'dont let the company down' type. It must be ingrained in the old folk?

I think you're best off seeing what the company want you to do in this case with regard to your holidays. You're probably best off leaving on somewhat good terms in my opinion.

JP1234 said:
...I have 6 days leave accrued already which really only gives me 22 working days left once I hand in my notice ...

Are you working 7 days a week? If on 5 day weeks, you only have 14 days left surely?

Leo said:
Are you working 7 days a week? If on 5 day weeks, you only have 14 days left surely?
It's sort of complicated, I am employed on a hours per year basis,960, it was agreed that if I work 4 hours a day I get 24.5 "days" leave or 98 hours a year. According to my calculations at the end of this month I will have an entitlement of 49 hours minus the 12 I have taken which means they owe me 37 hours "holiday" pay. Your calculation actually looks closer to the mark though as that is almost 2 weeks for me, so I am just going to ask them for the money instead!

Ps Redbhoy I am not that old!;)

I'am having an issue with notice also and want to know legally what is the minimum I need to give my current employer. I get paid every two weeks..and have been working here 2.5years.

found out, via an old post on this board, that legally I am only required to give them 1 weeks notice

JP1234 can you explain more or direct me please?

Can answer my own Q after research...

If you do not have a provision in your contract of employment dealing with notice, the statutory minimum notice of one week will apply and this is the notice that you should give your employer of your intention to leave. The statutory minimum notice of one week, is set down in Section 6 of the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Act, 1973.

See, my employer is saying I need to give 1mnth. And I have 2weeks holidays owed to me. They want me to work full month and pay me for 2 weeks holidays as extra. But I want to only work 2 weeks and take 2 weeks paid holidays. They're just being as difficult as possible.
So now at least I have this to back me up.

I'am having an issue with notice also and want to know legally what is the minimum I need to give my current employer. I get paid every two weeks..and have been working here 2.5years.
Usually out of courtesy you would give yr employer notice based on frequency of salary, i.e. paid once a month - one months notice.

In reality there is NOTHING to prevent you just leaving when ever you feel like it. Your employer is legally unable to withhold or adversely delay, your wages, holiday entitlement or your P45. Might not make you Mr/Ms Popular though!!:)

ACA, Ok so legally If I get up off my chair and walk out now ( which I wudnt do) they still have to pay me my 2 weeks holidays im owed have worked? Do you know where it is stated on any statutory docs where it says this please?

Basically they are being difficult with me. They can afford to give me the holidays in my last 2 weeks of months notice but won't. I get paid every two weeks.

Back