College Fees - Tax Rebate query

fender

I am completing my form 11 on-line.

I have 2 College Fees to reclaim tax on

The first is for €1569 and the second amount is €3500

€5069 in total. I would expect to be allowed 20% €1038.80

Instead all I am allowed is €514.

Both of these amounts are Fees and not Student contributions.

Any idea why this might be the case?

Thanks

Last edited:
There is an amount of college fees on which tax relief is not given -€2500 for full-time course or €1250 part-time. Where there is more than one student the deduction applies only to the first student.

The relief you have been given suggests that your claim involves a full-time course. The relief is calculated as:

Student 1: €3,500
deduction €2,500
net fee €1,000
Student 2: €1,569
total fees: €2,569 @ 20% = €513.80 tax relief

Hi Just wondering if anyone has submitted a claim for Tution Fees for another person that is not related yet.
My boyfriend is back in college full time and I would like to claim the Fees from my tax but he physically paid in based on a loan in his name though we both will be paying the loan back when we have to start paying it back.

Any advise? Should I sent a Letter explaining this with the submission?

Thanks

So you're looking to claim back tax on something that you haven't paid for (yet)? Can't see that falling as part of the scheme.

The Revenue website states http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

An individual can claim tax relief on fees paid for Third Level courses in respect of any person as long as he or she has paid the qualifying fees. Qualifying fees means tuition fees (including the Student Contribution, post 2011), but
not
examination fees, registration fees or administration fees, in respect of an approved course at an approved college.
You should Revenue to ask.

The college has been paid but the loan not! My worry is more around the fact that I am claiming for it but the loan and the course is in my boyfriends name and were not jointly accessed or anything like that - though we are going out for years!

I know people would claim for fees paid for kids or siblings but would there be any issue claiming for boyfriend and would I need to send a letter explaining same??

Fees are deemed paid when they are paid. Loan is not relevant to the payment transaction. AFAIK there is no facility for an unrelated 3rd party claim. However this can easily be resolved by contacting the Revenue directly on their help line!

Cool thanks a million - I'll give them a call tomorrow morning! Thanks a million - I'll let yee know how I get on.

The college has been paid but the loan not! My worry is more around the fact that I am claiming for it but the loan and the course is in my boyfriends name and were not jointly accessed or anything like that - though we are going out for years!

I know people would claim for fees paid for kids or siblings but would there be any issue claiming for boyfriend and would I need to send a letter explaining same??

But it's been paid by your boyfriend not you! Don't see how that can work in your favour. The fact that he's your boyfriend not a sibling or anything is immaterial as was included in the quote from Revenue, it's the fact that your boyfriend paid the fees not you that you have to concern yourself with.

Back