Self Employed and if so Tax Implications?

JamesR

Hi,

I've just been employed as a Sales Executive for a Company in the UK but I will be based in Ireland. My role is mainly focused on brand development and I will not be selling in the first 12/18 months. The idea is that the Company come to Ireland in the next 12/18 months. I am paid Gross and must pay my own tax to Revenue. The Company is not registered here so it has no obligation to the Irish Tax System.

I am just wondering if I will be classed as self employed and if so what expenses am I able to claim against my taxable income. My office will be in my house and the Company has leased a car for me to use (BIK?).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Hi,

I've just been employed as a Sales Executive for a Company in the UK but I will be based in Ireland. My role is mainly focused on brand development and I will not be selling in the first 12/18 months. The idea is that the Company come to Ireland in the next 12/18 months. I am paid Gross and must pay my own tax to Revenue. The Company is not registered here so it has no obligation to the Irish Tax System.

Ahem.

Your employer needs to register here as an employer, deduct taxes from your pay and remit them to Revenue. If they don't, the taxman will cut them to pieces when they find out.

Can I ask why they'd need to do this? It is a UK Company which is based in the UK and has no current operations here in Ireland. I'm working on a Consultancy basis per my contract.

They will once they employ you here. Why the rules are so, I don't know, I don't write them. But they've been established practice for donkeys years.

Can I ask why they'd need to do this? It is a UK Company which is based in the UK and has no current operations here in Ireland. I'm working on a Consultancy basis per my contract.

Calling it a consultancy in a contract is one thing, but whether they are actually engaging you as an employee or a self-employed person is a question of fact.

Apart from the name used to describe the relationship, is there anything else in the contract that would distinguish you from an employee?

If McDonalds decided to start hiring McConsultants to serve you your fries, and nothing else changed apart from their description of the role, do you think all their staff would suddenly no longer be employees and become self-employed..?

I am assuming my contract is very different to the Sales Execs employed in the UK, for one I do not sell any products here and instead am engaging in brand awareness and other marketing activites. My contract is also a fixed term ie 12 months which would be more fitting to a Consultancy contract I believe.

As I'm Irish Resident I know I have a tax obligation I just want to know if this is on a self employed basis or do I need to press the Employer to register with Revenue even though they don't even have an address here?

Also thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Back