Key Post Tax Credits Checklist - 2009

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Revenue list of tax credits, reliefs and allowances 2005 – 2009

Tax Credits – deduct from actual tax payable – Revenue List of Tax Credits
Personal Tax Credit (Single, Married, Widowed)
One parent family €1830
PAYE - Employee tax credit €1830
Home Carer’s Tax Credit (Married couples, one person stays at home looking after a child or other dependent) €900
Age tax credit (people 65 or over) : €650/€325
Dependent Relative Tax Credit : €80
Incapacitated child €3,660
Blind Credit
Rental Tax Credit €400 < age 55; €800 > age 55 (Doubled for married couples/ widows) discussed here (Actually 20% of €2,000 and €4,000)
[broken link removed] Max €80 ( 20% of €400) (Refuse/Water etc)
[broken link removed] €70 (€350 @20%)

Allowances at marginal rate (i.e. 41%)

An allowance of €1,000 would reduce your tax bill by €410

Pension contributions
Permanent Health Insurance (not to be confused with health insurance)
Employment of a carer for an incapacitated person – Up to €50,000
Nursing Home Expenses (Like Health Expenses but can be claimed at marginal rate)
[broken link removed] – If you are unemployed for over 12 months, you may qualify for an additional tax allowance of up to €3810

Allowances at standard rate – 20%
An allowance of €1,000 would reduce your tax bill by €200.

Tuition fees
Medical expenses (Nursing Home expenses can be claimed at marginal rate)

Tax credits normally deducted at source
If not claimed at source, you can claim them on your tax return
Medical Insurance– VHI, Quinn Healthcare, Hibernian Aviva
Mortgage interest

Other
Donations to approved charities by self-employed people
[broken link removed]
Alimony and maintenance payments
Interest on money borrowed to invest in a business
Film Relief
BES Relief

I have tried to simplify this complicated topic with the above list.

Please correct any of the above or add to the list if I have omitted some allowance.

I would welcome new key posts on any specific topic such as this one which Huskerdu did on medical expenses.

If you have questions about how specific credits work, please do a search or start a new thread. Don't tag it on to this Key Post.

Would anyone like to write a Key Post about how to go about checking if you have paid too much tax and how to get a refund?

There was a tax deadline of this week or next week mentioned on the radio today for anything you've missed for 2005 as you can only go back 4 tax years. I'm not exactly sure what date it was, but it is important that people get their claims in on time.

Thanks Bronte

One can only go back 4 years, so it's 31 December 2009 is the deadline for 2005 refund claims.

As my oh and I pay into a pension from our rental income we use the tax relief against our rental income, our accountant forgot to claim PRSI relief on our pension - luckily someone here on AAM mentioned it some time earlier in the year and I looked into it and am now awaiting a refund of PRSI since 2004 - please double check that ALL relief is being claimed by yourself/accountant re pensions.

Please move if posted in incorrect thread. Thank you.

Back