American Express Blue Card

L

louis lane 6

I know that they are in circulation but does anyone know if BOI are still issuing them?

My BoI-issued card was replaced recently. Still no sign of chip and pin, and I've noticed fewer and fewer merchants accepting Amex, but I'll keep using it whenever I can.

There's no mention of it anywhere on the BoI website, but their 'phone number is 1890 400 455 (or 01 6176412).

They generally continue to support existing customers even if a card type or any product type has been dropped.

AmEx is ok but the difference with a regular credit card is that you pay it in full. I know they have a lot of corporate business here.

AmEx is ok but the difference with a regular credit card is that you pay it in full. I know they have a lot of corporate business here.
The Blue Card does not need to be paid in full....it is similar to a 'standard' credit card....the main benefit of the blue card is that the user gets 1% back on most purchases.

Just got a letter this morning telling us our AMEX card will not be renewed after november, and no cash back after 31 Aug.

Yes I got a letter this morning.

Two weeks notice is a poor reflection on BOI. I've booked travel for dates in the future using AMEX blue to guarantee reservations. I also paid the Gov tax in Apr

Just got a letter this morning telling us our AMEX card will not be renewed after november, and no cash back after 31 Aug.
Time to dump the card I'd say. Without the cash-back it offers no benefits over Visa/Mastercard.

I heard many on AAM using the card did quite well on the cash back.

BOI choose to withdraw the card with only two weeks advance notice then they can pay the Gov duty on it. I won't have use of it for the year.

I didn't even think about the Gov Tax or what I pay monthly from the card. Must start moving all direct debits. I don't think I'll be using it after Aug 31st. The 1% back was my incentive, although the lack of chip and pin made it harder to use.

That and the fact that many retailers won't accept Amex cards because of the higher charge to the merchant. Which meant that I also had to have a BoI MasterCard.
I'll be closing both now, unless BoI agree to reimburse 7/12ths of the Government duty paid in April.

From the Best buys (thanks, fungus):
AIB Visa Platinum Card
Reward: 0.50% cash back on all annual spends from 5,000 EUR to 50,000 EUR per year.
Is this now the only cashback card available in Ireland?

Got the letter as well today. Poor show from BOI with the short notice.

The 1% was the only reason I had the card. I do a lot of travelling and put a LOT on my card every month so it made it worthwhile. Yes, you pay the €40 stamp duty, but you work this off after spending €4k. The only problem was that it was not accepted everywhere (higher charges for retailers I think?).

Time to start looking for a replacement...

That and the fact that many retailers won't accept Amex cards because of the higher charge to the merchant. Which meant that I also had to have a BoI MasterCard.
I'll be closing both now, unless BoI agree to reimburse 7/12ths of the Government duty paid in April.

From the Best buys (thanks, fungus):
Is this now the only cashback card available in Ireland?

I think you have to pay the stamp duty on this, so that would negate the first €6k that you spend on the card.

Deano, Bank of Ireland have taken a commercial decision to close the account and they expect the consumer to pay the Gov levy. That's a bit rich - let them absorb the cost themselves. It not as if we choose to close the account they did.

Even if they withdraw the card they still have to honour any regular payments you have committed to and honour any reservation guarantees you may have made on the strength of the card.

I think you have to pay the stamp duty on this, so that would negate the first €6k that you spend on the card.

Just on that point, you have to spend €5k before you start getting the 0.5% back, so its €11k just to cover govt duty :(

I also got a letter this morning saying it will be withdrawn after 1st November. Does this mean that any outstanding balance has to be paid in full or will they continue to accept my direct debit until it is paid off?

Unimpressive performance BOI, two weeks notice of ending points is ridiculous.

There is a lack of reward credit cards in Ireland, no airmile cards for example other than Ryanair and few other options other than Tesco points.

The standard AmEx (Green) card is not a credit card, it's a charge card.

The card the OP refers to is the American Express Blue, which is a regular credit card.

I too got a letter from Bank of Ireland stating that they are discontinuing the card, blaming low customer take-up as the reason. No wonder, the don't even try to advertise it. I got mine two years ago and it took a lot of effort. It was well worth it though for the money back offer.

(Unfortunately, by the time I got an AmEx I missed out on that cashcow of gambling websites, prize sweeps sites, etc).

I didn't realise how many places accepted AmEx 'til I actually got the card. Many places that display MasterCard and Visa signs don't display Amex signs but do accept it. No harm in asking, and all that.

The card seemed to be a nightmare for merchants though. A retailer in Donnybrook had a decent knockdown sale on some of their products last year and I went in to make a killing. When I produced my AmEx he asked if I could use a different card, if I had one. Said that with his sale his margins were very thin, and that will AmEx's high charges and slow payment (3+ weeks) that he'd make a loss on the sale!

The stamp duty issue could be thorny... Maybe out of the goodness of their hearts, Bank of Ireland will give AmEx Blue customers €30 to cover it, but I doubt it. As far as the tax man is concerned, even if you had a credit card active for 1 day in the period, you'll need to pay €30. However, if you switch from your AmEx blue to another card you'll only need to pay the stamp duty once (though you'll probably pay it twice, then get a refund at a later date).

I note there's a lot of complaining about the two weeks. I haven't reread the terms and conditions, but don't forget the 2.5 weeks notice is with regard to the cash back (I got mine back this month) and they've give 2.5 months notice regarding the card.

Overall I got a good deal from my AmEx Blue.

Finding a replacement could be a dose. I hate Tesco so I probably won't go for that. RyanAir is a possiblility. I fly with them most... but I don't fly that much. Must check out Consumer Choice magazine, they'd a credit card feature recenlty.

I also got the letter yesterday, What's completely laughable is BOI quoting lack of popularity for the card for its withdrawal, i.e effectively blaming the AMEX brand !

"This decision was based on a number of factors but primarily due to the low number of customers taking up the card in the last number of years"

Hello!, Does anyone in BOI think the "lack of poularity" in the last number of years may be down to the fact that BOI itself stopped advertising, and removed all references to the card from its website in 2007!, :rolleyes:

I wonder how AMEX would feel about this claim by BOI.
While I acknowledge AMEX seems to be a PIA for retailers, it worked fine for me,and the 1% cashback was great.

The fact is the 1% cashback cost BOI too much, so they decided two years ago "to slowly strangle the product"

BOI finish their letter with "We will be in contact with you again in Septemeber with details of alternative options from BOI Credit Cards"

There off my list right away based on this letter.

The standard AmEx (Green) card is not a credit card, it's a charge card.

The card the OP refers to is the American Express Blue, which is a regular credit card.

I too got a letter from Bank of Ireland stating that they are discontinuing the card, blaming low customer take-up as the reason. No wonder, the don't even try to advertise it. I got mine two years ago and it took a lot of effort. It was well worth it though for the money back offer.

(Unfortunately, by the time I got an AmEx I missed out on that cashcow of gambling websites, prize sweeps sites, etc).

I didn't realise how many places accepted AmEx 'til I actually got the card. Many places that display MasterCard and Visa signs don't display Amex signs but do accept it. No harm in asking, and all that.

The card seemed to be a nightmare for merchants though. A retailer in Donnybrook had a decent knockdown sale on some of their products last year and I went in to make a killing. When I produced my AmEx he asked if I could use a different card, if I had one. Said that with his sale his margins were very thin, and that will AmEx's high charges and slow payment (3+ weeks) that he'd make a loss on the sale!

The stamp duty issue could be thorny... Maybe out of the goodness of their hearts, Bank of Ireland will give AmEx Blue customers €30 to cover it, but I doubt it. As far as the tax man is concerned, even if you had a credit card active for 1 day in the period, you'll need to pay €30. However, if you switch from your AmEx blue to another card you'll only need to pay the stamp duty once (though you'll probably pay it twice, then get a refund at a later date).

I note there's a lot of complaining about the two weeks. I haven't reread the terms and conditions, but don't forget the 2.5 weeks notice is with regard to the cash back (I got mine back this month) and they've give 2.5 months notice regarding the card.

Overall I got a good deal from my AmEx Blue.

Finding a replacement could be a dose. I hate Tesco so I probably won't go for that. RyanAir is a possiblility. I fly with them most... but I don't fly that much. Must check out Consumer Choice magazine, they'd a credit card feature recenlty.

Good post Gautama. I reckon I've had my AmEx for about 6 years and you are right about the amount of places that take them - not as bad as some people think. Especially if you travel - every hotel will take it. The cashback was the only reason I had it - 1% might not seem like a lot but if you are putting 2k a month on the card it adds up.

Getting a replacement will be a pain. I reckon that the closest card is AIB's platinum Visa with 0.5% cashback. The downside is that you are essentially going to get half the amount of cashback then you did with AmEx :(

Back