Difference in irish water pressure? How come US showers are so much better that ours?

Charley

Hi,
can anyone out there tell me why there is such a difference between the water pressure in ireland in comparison to the US for example? I have just returned from living there for some years and am finding it hard to get used to the much lower water pressure from my pumped electric shower (Triton T90SI). I had a larger water tank installed at the time so the water supply isn't an issue. I have mentioned this to family & friends who all say the same thing about their respective showers (of all types & makes) Just wondering if anyone can explain why there is such a difference.....is there a difference in the size of the pipes used or something like that??

It would seem with the abundance of rain in this part of the world that we should have the best water pressure?!

Maybe some of the newer hotels here have better showers - does anyone know what kind of shower set up they use or what would be the best recommendation for instant hot water and a very powerful pressure - do I need to get new pipework installed?

any advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

Re: difference in irish water pressure?

Irish houses have water tanks in the attic, and pressure is a function of the height the water is stored relative to the point of use. A 10 meter column of water applies 1 bar of pressure at the base. In the US water is stored in towers in northern states to prevent water tanks freezing and subsequently leaking in attics during the winter. Some towers can be 10 - 20 meters high, giving lots of pressure head. not so in your house, where the tank is only on the next level up.

also be sure your shower is an actual "pump" not just a supplementary heating device, A Pump attached to your normal water supply should be able to give you that US style shower....

As you have a tank fed pumped shower, the issue is with the pressure generated by the pump in the shower rather than your incoming mains, although you may have low incoming mains pressure to improve your shower experience you would need a bigger pump which would probably mean fitting a power shower or if you have the space a unvented cylinder which i have and it gives me 3 1/2bar at the tap, Gary.

Short-Cut. Take a T-junction off the supply to the water tank and feed it straight to the shower unit. Will give u mains pressure in the shower.

Re: Difference in irish water pressure? How come US showers are so much better that o

Just wait until we are paying for our water by the gallon, and you'll be grateful for the teensy flow shower.

Short-Cut. Take a T-junction off the supply to the water tank and feed it straight to the shower unit. Will give u mains pressure in the shower.
Don't think you're supposed to do this?
e.g. from an installation manual
[broken link removed]
Warning!
Under no circumstances must this shower be connected directly to the mains water supply.

You must choose different shower units depending on whether you are connecting direct to the mains or using a tank system.

Re: Difference in irish water pressure? How come US showers are so much better that o

You don't need a torrent to wash in. It's much more green to have a moderate water flow.

You must choose different shower units depending on whether you are connecting direct to the mains or using a tank system.

I think another poster has mentioned in perhaps in a different context, but I seem to recall that you cannot connect anything directly to the mains - by law!

The reason your potable [drinkable] mains water supply discharges from a tap outlet that is so high above the kitchen sink isn't convenience for stacking the pots too high, but to avoid contamination of the main supply.

As far as I can recall, the mains in the attic discharges to a tank, which is theoretically sealed with a ballcock and sterile - it is this tank supply that is connected to everything else in the house, including applicances and the heating system.

FWIW

ONQ.

You don't need a torrent to wash in. It's much more green to have a moderate water flow.

In fairness in Ireland getting a moderate flow can be a problem.

I think another poster has mentioned in perhaps in a different context, but I seem to recall that you cannot connect anything directly to the mains - by law!

If there was any such law, it should be pretty easy find a link to same. If that were the case, there probably wouldn't be such a large market for mains-fed showers here. Garden taps are almost universally fed from mains as well, though these should be fitted with one-way valves to protect from back-syphonage.

As far as I can recall, the mains in the attic discharges to a tank, which is theoretically sealed with a ballcock and sterile ONQ.

An attic tank can't be fully sealed, and is certainly never sterile.
Leo

I think another poster has mentioned in perhaps in a different context, but I seem to recall that you cannot connect anything directly to the mains - by law!...
My downstairs cold-water taps, toilet cistern and water softener are all mains connected; the dish-washer and washing-machine are tank-fed as the water in the tank is softened.

The confusion about the law may be the one that forbids a pump to be fitted to a mains supply pipe.

you can connect to the mains supply directly or indirectly provided you eliminate the chance of cross contamination.

Many homes are now mains fed, both hot and cold, either through a combi boiler or an unvented (sealed) cylinder.

OP, electric showers are poor, regardless of feed I.E Tank fed (pump built in) mains fed (no pump) they restrict the flow of water so it can heat it to the present temperture.

What you need is a power shower, taking both cold and hot water from a stored source. You will need to heat the water before hand though.

How come US showers are so much better than ours?

maybe we should have copied the american way of doing things - in this case anyway. it's a big improvement on what we have here.

In the meantime(!) I'll have to look into getting a power shower or unvented cylinder. Thanks for all the info.

My downstairs cold-water taps, toilet cistern and water softener are all mains connected; the dish-washer and washing-machine are tank-fed as the water in the tank is softened.

Yup I stand corrected, see reply to Leo.

This is a link that shows where I was coming from:

http://www.northshorecity.govt.nz/Water/watersupply/BackflowPrevention/WaterSupplyBackflowP.htm

If there was any such law, it should be pretty easy find a link to same. If that were the case, there probably wouldn't be such a large market for mains-fed showers here. Garden taps are almost universally fed from mains as well, though these should be fitted with one-way valves to protect from back-syphonage.

An attic tank can't be fully sealed, and is certainly never sterile.
Leo

I stand corrected Leo.

This is a link that shows what I was trying to remember.

http://www.northshorecity.govt.nz/Water/watersupply/BackflowPrevention/WaterSupplyBackflowP.htm

ONQ

I have a power shower, fed from the hot water supply in the tank in the hot press (not a techie so forgive me). A pump has been attached to the pipe supplying the water to the shower, and it is really the business. Electric showers are awful IMV, ok for the kids, but not for me! That was my treat, they can use the triton.

Back