Mortgage Holiday awarded now told Im in arrears

cazmayo

I asked for a payment holiday on my top up account but received a letter saying I was granted a payment holiday on my main mortgage.

I telephoned to confirm this but was told someone would ring me back, but received no phone call. I then wrote and asked for confirmation to just make sure - received no response. So I again telephoned, the guy said they couldnt give you a payment holiday on the top up so maybe they applied it to the main account but Im not sure, I will have to check, no one got back to me.

So I presumed if I had it in writing, it must be OK.

Ive just received a letter that I have missed my mortgage payment and now my account is in arrears!!!

Where do I stand now? Can they insist I pay the missed payment immediately or can I say I will have to pay it in instalments at this stage.

I plan to write and attach a copy of the letter from them granting me a payment holiday and see what they say, however just wanted to know where I stand.

Thanks guys!
Cheers
Caz

Hi Caz

This is worrying. I had been told by someone else that people who get payment holidays often end up with a bad record at the Irish Credit Bureau. I assumed this was nonsense so I didn't follow up on it.

So check your ICB record immediately.

Which institution?

Tell the institution that this is so serious, you want to make a formal complaint to the Ombudsman if it is not resolved quickly.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Im so angry, as I made 3 attempts to double check this, even though I had it in writing (2 telephone calls - no one knew anything, thus I put my query in writing - and again no response).

I am going to challenge them in writing attaching their letter awarding me the payment holiday! It is their error and not mine.

I will check my credit rating, and will also mention this better not appear on my credit rating, as its their error.

Payment holidays should NOT be appearing on ICB, as its a feature of the mortgage product.

Our mortgage is with First Active!

We have an offset, and also asked to go interest only, but we cant do interest only on a offset, so they said we would have to change over to a standard mortgage, new application, solicitors costs etc. Not worth it!

Starting to get very iritated by them now.
Thanks for your advice.
Kind Regards
Caz

so they gave you a payment break on your main mortgage and sent you a letter confirming this.
but they never gave you a payment break on the top up and never sent you a letter to confirm that they never gave you a payment break on the top up.

so why did you assume they gave you a payment break on the topup when you did not get confirmation of this.
you shouldnt asume things when it comes to banks because its you who will get screwed in the long run.

your main mortgage if on a payment break will not be notified to the icb, as its an agreed payment break. if they agreed a payment break but say you defaulted on your payment, ring them on 1890 252 301 and ask to be put through to the support team, they will fix it, and advise you it was an error on their behalf.

if you default on your top up and miss 3 consecutive payments your defaulting will be notified to the icb, on a first default no notification will be given to the icb.

No, I didnt miss my top up payment.

I asked for a holiday payment on the top up. What I received was a letter saying I was awarded a payment holiday on my main mortgage. I wondered why they applied it to our main mortgage and not the account I asked for.

I have written confirmation that I was awarded a payment holiday on my main mortgage for decemeber and thus didnt pay the main mortgage (did pay the top up). Now I have received a letter saying I missed my main mortgage and now its in arrears.

I will challenge them on Monday and fax them the letter I received from them (I already faxed them a copy mid December querying it and never received a response).

This is their error not mine.
Kind Regards
Caz

sound strange that they did that, the only way i can think they gave you a payment break on the main mortgage instead of the topup is due to the fact that you may have placed the account number for the main mortgage on the letter instead of the top up account number, which is morethan likely different.
this may be the reason for the mixup,

To save all the hassle and stress, just pay the missed payment as soon as possible, then you will be ok.
If you cant do this go to the branch in person and sort out a solution.

This is worrying. I had been told by someone else that people who get payment holidays often end up with a bad record at the Irish Credit Bureau. I assumed this was nonsense so I didn't follow up on it
Brendan

An agreed Moratorium (payment holiday) will appear with the M code on the ICB for those particular months...

Therefore when other Lenders run an ICB on your behalf they will note that there was a payment holiday agreed and enquire further as to the circumstances why

It will depend on that particular Lender as to whether it is a bad thing or not......

Back