Should I buy an antivirus or are free ones just as good?

paddyjnr

I've been using Trend micro internet security pro for the last year and my subscription is coming to an end. I have found it to be an excellent antivirus package. I am just wondering are there any freebies that are just as good or will I continue to pay up?? (keeping in mind I am also on a cost saving spree at the moment)

The free versions are not as good as the paid for versions - otherwise why would they bother producing products aimed at the home market? Paid for versions usually have more comprehensive protection/scanning (viruses, malware, spyware, rootkits, spam filtering, firewall, etc.) in one product and you will get faster updates.

That said user education is the best defence and you can get pretty good protection by using a number of free products and keeping these up to date.

If you have multiple administrator accounts in use by many people who's internet usage you don't monitor or restrict, then you will need the best levels of protection and I would recommend a paid-for product.

If you use non-administrator account and you are the only one using the computer, you only frequent trusted/trustworthy websites, you have a firewall in place and you meet the licensing criteria then the basic level of protection provided by free products will suffice.

[Note: I am a provider of anti-virus products]

All operating systems need updating.At least with ubuntu you don't have the added chore of AV updates.....scans.....etc.

The free versions are not as good as the paid for versions - otherwise why would they bother producing products aimed at the home market?
Yes I felt that would be the case alright, and there are a number of people using my computer so I best re-new my "Trend internet security pro" Is this a good anti virus package or are there better out there? I think it cost $60.00 last year..

Yes I felt that would be the case alright, and there are a number of people using my computer so I best re-new my "Trend internet security pro" Is this a good anti virus package or are there better out there? I think it cost $60.00 last year..

It's middle of the road, iirc. My own recommendation would be Kaspersky Internet Security. This should cost about €50 + VAT for one year, about €70 + VAT for two years.

[Declaration of Interest: My business sells Kaspersky products (as well as other AntiVirus products).]

I don't agree with paying for AV at all especially as those AV companies got caught out with the likes of the Sony rootkit a couple of years ago. They dropped the ball on that one. I've a couple of pc's using clamwin or Avast for free no problem 4 years in, (fingers crossed) it also helps using some of those firefox add ons that track dangerous sites or block scipts you have more control (web of trust, no script) another great help is
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm takes a bit of learning but worth it

I've a couple of pc's using Avast for free no problem 4 years in, (fingers crossed) it also helps using some of those firefox add ons that track dangerous sites or block scipts you have more control (web of trust, no script)

Been using Avast for home for approx 3 years, and it has been excellent - no issue. During the similar period a work pc has been infected withthe paid-for Macaffee.
I have since switched everyone at work to the Avast Professional edition(same as the home edition but you pay for it as it is for commercial purposes) and I their Server edition is protecting our network server. No issues to date, and I am very satisfied with the level of security and in particular to the ferquency of updates

New viruses/rootkits/malware of all forms come out all the time. It's a never ending chase for AV developers to keep up with these and get the updates out to end users before they come across that particular piece of malware in the wild (at least until something radical changes in how the most popular OS's are deployed).

For every story of someone never having a problem with a free AV I have one where people did have problems (this year the 'AntiVirus XP' malware has been most prevalent).

But this doesn't prove it either way. What matters most in the decision on the suitability of free products or not is where and how you use the computer, whether administrator accounts are used, how risky your internet activities are (i.e. how likely you are to come across malware) and your ability to manage multiple products, thier updates and scans.

Certain users who use their computer at home for non-commercial activities and have the requisite skills and awareness can certainly get by on free products. Others will benefit from paid-for products.

How about sharing the costs of a paid up anti virus with a few friends and allow them access to your AV password? Would that work as the trend allows you to run up to 3 computers off the one user.

How about sharing the costs of a paid up anti virus with a few friends and allow them access to your AV password? Would that work as the trend allows you to run up to 3 computers off the one user.

They allow 3 computers in one household.

Nope tried and tested, just talking to my friend and he has others using his (nonhoushold) and claims to never have a problem once it doesn't go over three!!!

I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said the license allowed 3 computers in one household. Anything else is a breach of the license agreement. I don't know how they define a household but maybe you/your friend had better check?

But this doesn't prove it either way. What matters most in the decision on the suitability of free products or not is where and how you use the computer, whether administrator accounts are used, how risky your internet activities are (i.e. how likely you are to come across malware) and your ability to manage multiple products, thier updates and scans.
Would agree with this 100%. The most common causes of virus / malware infections is by email, music download programs (Limewire / Bearshare) and browsing to dodgey sites.

Using Firefox, been careful of email attachments, what you download and bit of cop on goes a long way.
Personally for home use I'd recommend AVG or Avast for anti virus and Malwarebyes for anti malware. As another level of security I would recommend Comodo as a firewall.

The Techsupportalert site has a report of all the best freeware apps.

[broken link removed]

I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said the license allowed 3 computers in one household. Anything else is a breach of the license agreement. I don't know how they define a household but maybe you/your friend had better check?
And what would the consequences be should they find out?

Back