Sat Nav for USA

aidan119

I go on hols to USA every year and normally rent car for 2 or 3 weeks with sat nav which costs an extra $10 per day.
Looking at buying one in Walmart on my next trip to eliminate need to rent one.
Does anyone have any experience of which one to buy ? Seems to be so many available and its not clear as to what level of detail the maps come with. Do I need to upgrade maps to suit location ?
Looking at Garmin Street Pilot c340 for $299 + taxes.

Can I then add Europe/Ireland maps to it when I come home ? Do I need to pay extra to do this.

I have a Tom Tome One Europe that came with European maps. You can also download USA maps from the website. Its really a personal choice. Most systems are as good as each other

So can I buy any unit and get either an SD card with the US on it or, in the case of tosullivan, download them from their website, are the downloads free ?

updates are free but new maps are not free (obviously)

[broken link removed]

this one will do you fine. its the one i got for the USA too. u have to buy the north american map for it extra but i do exactly as you. annual trip to the states and got sick of paying 15 bucks a day for one of these. id buy it here before u go though

I have a satnav and use it in Ireland on and off, mostly when I need to find a particular address.
I travel to the US each year as well and have been thinking of getting a cheap one there as well (you could get refurbished ones from Radioshack for $99), but I wouldn't know why you would actually need one, unless of course you have a lot of addresses in busy cities to visit.

The road signage in the US is second to none and I have never been lost. If you know where you are going in advance , print out a map from google and you will not go wrong.

The road signage in the US is second to none and I have never been lost. If you know where you are going in advance , print out a map from google and you will not go wrong.

Of course, it's handy around cities though, it's the convenience of the thing, like, we can all handwash our clothes but why bother when you can have a machine do it !!;):)

Tom Tom 930T includes USA & Canada as well as Ireland, Uk,and Europe. Costs £350 here in England at Maplins. Don't know whether you have Maplins over there, but Im pretty sure that they have a website.

Tom Tom 930T includes USA & Canada as well as Ireland, Uk,and Europe. Costs £350 here in England at Maplins. Don't know whether you have Maplins over there, but Im pretty sure that they have a website.

Thanks, yes we have maplin here in Ireland but as far as I can see it's the GB website. Anyhow from my research I see the cheapest for the one I want is from www.elara.ie

My brother was in California a month ago and brought his own Garmin with him; he bought it for use at home here, He got a SD card with the North America maps from eBay and put it into the memory slot; from all accounts it worked perfectly.

I was over there last year and hired a car which just happened to have a built-in satnav. It was pure cr*p in comparison to the my Garmin. The graphics were all in straight lines and the estimated time to destination was away off; in fact if you halved the time, it was much closer to reality

Back