The R Word

He would because he dosen't have to worry about paying his mortgage or the ever increasing price of energy and food.

I find it a bit odd that this is the biggest economics news in a long time, and lots of Irish message boards are buzzing with it, and yet here at AAM it's all very low-key. As I write, there are twice as many people viewing the Cars forum as this one.

Anyway, I'm new here so maybe I'm missing something.

A lot of people who would previously have discussed these sorts of issues on AAM have moved over to www.thepropertypin.com

If you're looking for good debate and commentary on economic/financial matters (including, whisper it, house prices) I'd recommend you take a look.

I'm afraid I'm finding it hard to get engaged with all of this recession-speak, 'cos I've lived through the 70s and 80s and survived! I bought my first house when the banks made it almost impossible to do so, you had to establish a savings record over several years, save a considerable deposit and they almost ignored female earnings as a factor in assessing a couples' income, if you managed to come through all that the interest rate was 17% and inflation was raging. I was paying paye at 45% and prsi at 7.75% which meant that with childcare costs it was hardly worth my while working but I, like everyone else held on to my job for dear life because there weren't any around. The worse thing about the 80s was forced emigration, at one stage a friend who was from a family of 10, had 8 members of her family working in the states and local gaa clubs couldn't field teams. I have to say that all of those 8 managed to return home and make lives for themselves here. What I would worry about most is the younger people have grown up with so much that they simply don't know what it's like to go without and we certainly did go without then, but we hadn't grown up with much so we still managed to enjoy ourselves, there were few meals out and loads of parties at home with friends and six packs and big pots of spaghetti bolonaise. This is not much consolation to people with negative equity and big mortgages I know, but what I'm trying to say is that every age has brought it's challenges and people do survive. Any study of economic history shows that boom and bust come in cycles and in the midst of either you have to remember that 'this too will pass'.

I have to say, I find it hard to take these studies/predictions (ESRI today for eg) seriously. This will be the 5th time they revised their forecasts so it doesn't really say much about their skills if you ask me.

I have to agree with this posting, although i believe there will be a recession and have believed this for 5 years now, i don't have much time for the ESRI or their forecasts, only a month ago they were predicting we would return to 4% grrowth in 2010 and oil would fall to $70 and alot of other silly assumptions, last week they came out with a silly survey on male and female working hours carried out by surveying people rather than proper scientific evaluation, and now they come out saying we are going back to the eighties. Are these really professionals funded by the government

Some wag on newstalk said they'd be voting against the recession as they didn't understand it.

Government finances which have taken a dive surely indicates cut backs are on the way unless we borrow heavily and this will only postpone the day of reckoning. what concerns me is how people from aged around 40 downwards who have never had to cut back will cope with tough times. Many middle aged folk who have experiences of bad times often comment how will the new generation, with all their money etc, cope in a recessionary period.

For 15 years we have grown by over 5% p.a. Now we are told we might fall back 0.4% and people are making for the back room with a bottle of whiskey and a revolver. What's the big deal? I am not an economist but how can slipping back a few months mean the wheels are coming off?

Government finances which have taken a dive surely indicates cut backs are on the way unless we borrow heavily and this will only postpone the day of reckoning. what concerns me is how people from aged around 40 downwards who have never had to cut back will cope with tough times. Many middle aged folk who have experiences of bad times often comment how will the new generation, with all their money etc, cope in a recessionary period.

This morning, when I turned on Radio 1, I was bombarded with the usual negative comments from our usual negative broadcasters.

We in Ireland are no differnent to people in other parts of the world - and the majority of Irish people listen to this rubbish day in and day out - and actually believe it :eek:

Without becoming too philosophical - there is a term called "Race Suggestion" that we have seen in action for centuries - and the majority will more than likely allow this "influence" determine what happens to them in life, and, the sad part is that they are oblivious as to why this is happening to them!

Negativity, like Evil, is one of the greatest curses inflicted on mankind, and over the centuries we have "evolved" into what can be called, a "dumb and dumber" race.

We are dumb because we allow the opinions of many - aka "race suggestion" - determine what we make of our life. This is not what Man was put on this Earth for - Man is an "individual" - but his "individuality" has been smothered now for centuries, mostly due to the silly and ridiculous "religious" groups that evolved from primative lines of thought - aka - Paganism.

When one "wakes up" and takes the time to look into what the word "soul" really means - they will eventually discover that the soul = the mind.

To listen to the idiotic preachings of ignorant people - ignorance meaning lack of REAL knowledge in relation to the subject matter - is to condemn one to a life of domination by others - aks - loss of individuality.

Summary - the doom and gloom experts are nothing more than ignorant people - see description of innorance above. They are but puppets of the so called "modern day society" in which we have to live - but - this does not mean that we have to listen to them with all of thier negativity and doom and gloom.

It is up to every individual to give to oneslef the best, and the most, that they can get out of life - if one takes heed of the "Race Suggestion" each and every day -then they will bring to themselves exactly what they predominantly think about - every result has to have a preceding action due to the universal law of "Cause & Effect" - change the preceding action and the result (outcome) will change - and as every action is preceded by thought - then thought - or the thinking process - becomes the most important thing in our lives.

This is why my slogan is:

"You are what you think"

Many will laugh - but that is to be expected - if I get one reply agreeing with my way of thinking I will be pleasently surprised, and, so might this person - as like attracts like - and like minded people share information freely, petty things like money do not even come into the equation!

This has been called by many freeloaders the "Law of Attraction" - but many have used th e universal laws incorrectly - as if the really understood the meaning of the laws, they would not do whgat they do and fool innocent peolpe - but as the laws are universal, and *************************,m they will get back exactly what they hand out.

You might be familiar with some of the quotes from the Bible - and one of the most famous is:

" Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap"

This is the real meaning of the "Law of Attraction" - and the Bible has many other wise words of wisdom for those who understand whay it was written - it was written for the individual to find individuality - not for to go to Heaven instead of Hell - as Hell is a man made concept, as God is perfect and no such imperfectness can be possible - Hell was, and still is, a tool used to control the masses - all I can say is that for those who open their mind in search of truthful information, may be pleasently surprised what they will discover.

So - do not listen to the doom and gloom merchants, in the same way that you should not listen to the boom merchants - listen FOR what awakens the soul (mind) and stimlates the body into action - as for some silly reason, "Race Suggestion" has resulted in people thinking that they can actually accomplish great things without actually doing anything - now, if that is not a "Ridiculous" mentality, I don't know what is!

Now the flak:)

There is too much philosophy in the above post for my taste, and I really hate it if some random quip from the bible is thrown at me for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I take the only useful part of a sentence from tha tpost:

"accomplish great things without actually doing anything"

A national property boom does not create sustainable wealth. However, many people might have made lots of money, as it is always a pyramid scheme (see DmcWilliams Generation Game) but the young are ****ed with their 40 year mortgages.
So why did so many bet in property? Because you can "accomplish great things without actually doing anything". Do you have to any creative idea to invest in property? No. Do you have to take any risk? No. Banks have taken the risk.

10 years of Celtic tiger wasted. Infrastructure still in bits. Not a single complete motorway between any two bigger cities in Ireland. Dublin public transport rubbish. Health Service bad. Public Service too bloated.

How is this country going to make it over the next 10 years if even during prosperous times too little has been achieved. Good night and good luck.

This is why my slogan is:

"You are what you think"

Many will laugh - but that is to be expected - if I get one reply agreeing with my way of thinking I will be pleasently surprised, and, so might this person - as like attracts like - and like minded people share information freely, petty things like money do not even come into the equation!

Now the flak:)

Who are you? the new messiah....:rolleyes:

There is too much philosophy in the above post for my taste, and I really hate it if some random quip from the bible is thrown at me for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I take the only useful part of a sentence from tha tpost:

"accomplish great things without actually doing anything"

A national property boom does not create sustainable wealth. However, many people might have made lots of money, as it is always a pyramid scheme (see DmcWilliams Generation Game) but the young are ****ed with their 40 year mortgages.
So why did so many bet in property? Because you can "accomplish great things without actually doing anything". Do you have to any creative idea to invest in property? No. Do you have to take any risk? No. Banks have taken the risk.

10 years of Celtic tiger wasted. Infrastructure still in bits. Not a single complete motorway between any two bigger cities in Ireland. Dublin public transport rubbish. Health Service bad. Public Service too bloated.

How is this country going to make it over the next 10 years if even during prosperous times too little has been achieved. Good night and good luck.

It is not unusual for one to not see the "wood from the trees".

I will drop the mind talk, as much as I can, but it becomes very difficult as everything you have mentioned has to originate as a "thought" - this fact can't be denied.

So - why is the country now seen to be ***ked.

Simple - the people in Ireland vote with thier hearts inbsted of their minds - the so called "traditional" party following shows just how much people were, and still are, controlled - see, it is really very hard to try and hide truthful information, as the truth will always come to the surface.

What this country needs is some "great thinkers" - some people who will speak the truth, get rid of all the wasters, gather the best minds from the various discilpines, and then come up with a plan of action to build a great nation - on par with what the Egyptians done in the past, but without the need to haul massive stones up steep slopes for over 20 years:)

No one said it is easy - but everyone knows it is possible - look what other countries like GB done during the 2nd World War when a raving lunatic was allowed to control the minds of a nation - see, as I keep saying, everything goes back to the mind, it is just how it is!

People bought houses because the listened to the boomers - they ignored the facts that were presented by the likes of D.Williams - whom btw, I consider to be a brillaint thinker.

Now, if we had a few more D.Williams in Ireland, and forget about the past and what our Father's and Grand Father's done - the dead are gone and we should always let "the dead bury the dead" - and start to look for great minds instead of "mediocre thinkers" - then, and only then, might Ireland become the Egypt of today.

As for investing in property, and making moiney without doing anything, you have grasped the wrong end of the stick, so as to speak, the concept of doing something does not have to be physical, but always has to be mental, and it is those who do not use their mental faculities, as they should, who are doing nothing.

A cripple can, and many have, accomplished great things in their lifetime, and this is because they have used and developed thier mind far beyond what the majority of "normal" people will ever do!

Who are you? the new messiah....:rolleyes:

I am just an individual - like you - that has decided to develop my individuality and not let the "race suggestion" influence my life.

It has taken me some years to get to this stage of my life - and I do not expect the younger ones to grasp many of the concepts put forward - as there really is no substitute for experience, no matter how much we think otherwise.

It might come as a great shock to many, to discoiver that our "education" system is fundamentally flawed - and if you read my post above you will see why!!

NikolazTesla, your reply is what is to be expected from someone who quotes the bible for no reason.
Another post without substance, only "phrases" and some insults.
Leave the sermon for the mass where you will find many sheeple looking for guidance that they don't get.
I am out of this.

The next thing we will be hearing is that the statues have begun their movements again:eek:

Now - do not take this personal - but this shows your ignorance - read my post to see what I think of statues!

Back