Free to Air in apt block?

PM1234

Hi,

Would anyone know if its possible to pick up FTA in an apt block (which doesn't allow dishes). I had read through previous threads and links to FTA sites about various receivers but can't determine if a dish is needed.

I don't really understand the difference between this and/or satellite or maybe they are the same thing?

AFAIK FTA didn't require a dish (just a box and card?) but am confused as many of the receivers seem to include a dish in their installation equipment?

I don't want SKY and currently have NTL.

Thanks

FTA is "Free to Air" ie you do not have to pay to watch the programmes - as distinct from services like Sky or NTL where you need to pay a subscription to decode the transmissions.

It does not describe the manner in which the TV programmes are transmitted. TV is currently available for reception in Ireland by

1) satellite - 1000s of channels from 10s of satellites - some free, some by subscription
requires a dish plus box to decode

2) cable - UPC ( was Chorus/NTL) plus some smaller suppliers - usually local/regional
requires a box to decode, usually

3) hertzien or radio waves - RTE1/2, TVE3, TG4 analogue only
requires indoor or outdoor aerial, depending on signal strength

RTE is currently testing the next big thing - digital hertzien transmissions which is to replace the analogue transmissions by 2012, I think, throughout the EU. This is already available in many ares of the UK. It will be available in Ireland in the next few years and may include a multitude of channel available on a FTA basis. This will require an indoor/outdoor aerial plus a box

2) cable - UPC ( was Chorus/NTL) plus some smaller suppliers - usually local/regional
requires a box to decode, usually

Thanks for that. I currently have NTL so do you know if its possible to replace this with FTA without having to install a dish?

The only available FTA transmissions without a satellite dish at the moment are RTE1/2, TV3, TG4 - an indoor aerial should work fine depending on your location.

The only available FTA transmissions without a satellite dish at the moment are RTE1/2, TV3, TG4 - an indoor aerial should work fine depending on your location.

Thanks JPD. I was sure there was some sort of box (receiver) that could be used without a dish. I know my Dad has one and doesn't have a dish but someone installed it for him and he's not sure how it works. :confused:

Thanks for that. I currently have NTL so do you know if its possible to replace this with FTA without having to install a dish?
What might be confusing you is that last year there was a big push by cable pirates to sell receivers that could access NTL without payment. They often passed them off to the tecnically uninformed as being dishless satellite receivers.

These cable boxes which cracked the encryption system of NTL are illegal to use, and a civil breach of contract. NTL/UPC has been upgrading its systems to render them useless.

Many law-abiding punters were fooled into thinking these were kosher and were ultimately left with useless receivers once NTL/UPC disabled them.

Thanks Technologist. I was wondering why the FTA sites advertising the receivers all seemed to have a dish included in the package.

Better not tell the folks at home or they will freak :eek:

Tech I doubt many people were fooled.

Many people knew exactly what they were doing.

Tech I doubt many people were fooled.

Many people knew exactly what they were doing.

Not sure. E.g. my father had some package (unsure what it was but included sports channels etc) and after having a problem with it, they sent someone to look into the problem. AFAIK the person that called to fix the problem was the same person who installed his current receiver/package or maybe its the same one? Either way he doesn't have a dish? And it doesn't look like I can get FTA in the apt. It was one of the money saving ideas in the budgeting section :(

In an apartment, it's normal that they don't allow you have a satellite dish. But I've heard of some people hiding it under an umbrella on the balcony. That might work if the balcony is South-East-facing.

Without the option of satellite via a dish, you must use whatever cable service the apartment management provide or a conventional aerial which gets the basic 4 channels.

Eventually, a digital TV system (DTT aka 'FreeView' in the UK) and you'll get more than 4 channels using an ordinary aerial.

Back