'Chirping' smoke alarm

onway

My smoke alarms run on electricity but when there is a power cut the alarm starts 'chirping'.This means that if the power goes off during the night,the alarm will wake you up.What is the cause of this - battery???

Well, the ones with batteries chirp when the battery is run down and needs replacing. The ones powered by the mains have back up batteries so by my logic changing the back up battery should stop this problem......
I could be wrong though :p

Yes the battery needs replacing.

I have had the same problem with "chirping", I did not realise that they also have a battery - I assumed because they were wired into the mains that no battery was required :eek:..

I soon learned!!

anyone have any tips on how to get the cover of the smoke alarm off? my alarm began chirping yesterday and when i try to twist the cover off it feels like i'm going to rip the whole thing off the ceiling (which is what i was tempted to do this morning after an interupted nights sleep!) but there's no give at all in the unit.

There's often a little pin placed in the side that stops the unit from being unscrewed.
Leo

anyone have any tips on how to get the cover of the smoke alarm off? my alarm began chirping yesterday and when i try to twist the cover off it feels like i'm going to rip the whole thing off the ceiling (which is what i was tempted to do this morning after an interupted nights sleep!) but there's no give at all in the unit.

actually did this yesterday - there is a little slot where you can slip in the head of a screw driver (non phillips) or head of a knife and clip a spring (wedge it up and down) which allows you to slide the top off rather than twist it.
They take 9volt batteries though so have one of these ready rather than an AA.

I'm getting my house rewired and I was wondering if it's better to have wired in mains smoke alarms rather than the battery ones? Are they difficult to move, for example when painting ceilings? And what kind of lifespan do they have? At least with the battery ones you can replace the whole unit easily.

Thanks,
g

Back