Regulation heights of shrub/hedge (private dwellings) separating bounderies of land.

Re: Regulation heights of shrub/hedge (private dwellings) separating bounderies of la

this guy sounds like a bully.....

The best thing to do is to contact 'an garda' and ask them to explain to the neighbour that what he has done is criminal damage and if he does it or anything similar again they will proceed with charges.

Oh, and id get another dog!!!......

Re: Regulation heights of shrub/hedge (private dwellings) separating bounderies of la

Why did you have to get rid of the dog and what did you do with it? This guy sounds like a lunatic!

Get a dog thats bigger than the hedge.

i agree especially if this escalates in to something bigger its always handy to have it recorded officially and pictures taken.
What worries me is that it seems you already gave into his demands about your dog, so i'm guessing that he thinks of ye as door mats..no offence meant, I woudln't even try to reason with him, take action now or else face further demands until he has you driven from the house, yo may laugh but stanger things have happened

I always understood that the neighbour could only cut any branches, shrubbery that crossed into their property, they cannot touch anything inside your boundry.

I am afraid your neighbour has comitted an act of criminal damage against you, obviously not very nice people.

Call the Guards

Absolutely correct.

there is a law about hedge height in the UK but not in Ireland, but even in the UK he couldn't just cut the hedge. On the other hand though a very high hedge can be an awful nuisance. try to talk to him to see if you can reach agreement on a suitable height.

this link might be useful http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/hedgeheight

Is this "crimianl damage" so bad (in the scheme of things) that you need to contact the Gardai?
Has anyone been stabbed? Has your car been burnt out? Has your son been raped?
To contact the Gardai is really going down one of the last avenues available.

Imagine you lived in pre-Celtic Tiger Ireland.

I'm not saying your neighbour is in the right, but calling in the Gardai so soon seems premature to me.
Talk to the guy about this matter, surely? Do you need a hedge that's over six feet tall?

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Only one thing appalls me more that the suggestion to call the Gardai, and that's the shoddy spelling:)

I once went out with a girl that had an argument with her flat mate. What did she do? She got a baring order against him! Madwoman or what?
You?

This neighbour needs to be put in his place and if he has such disregard for other peoples property to act the way he did then i do think that the gardai are the people to deal with this matter. From what the OP wrote, this is not the first dealings they have with him, whats next on his agenda if he thinks he has the right to go onto some one elses property and do what you like..

Only one thing appalls me more that the suggestion to call the Gardai, and that's the shoddy spelling:)

I once went out with a girl that had an argument with her flat mate. What did she do? She got a baring order against him! Madwoman or what?
You?
If you want to complain about spelling, make sure to read your post very carefully. I'm afraid you either have a major gripe against yourself, or there are some interesting laws out there. :rolleyes:

To get back on topic - My view is that you're best off trying to approach your neighbour directly. Explain that there is no restriction on the height of your hedge and that they are in breach of the law by cutting down your hedge. Try to come to a reasonable understanding. If that doesn't work, report it to the gardai just to have it on record in case he does it again. All you have to do is make a statement, you don't necessarily want them coming out.

Shrubs. Is there a height regulation?

I had to give the dog to another family member. I don't want to get the guards involved if I can after all god only knows how long more we will have to live next to him!

Re: Shrubs. Is there a height regulation?

I had to give the dog to another family member. I don't want to get the guards involved if I can after all god only knows how long more we will have to live next to him!

Exactly, he will be your neighbour until you or he sells up. And in the current market, that could be a long time.

I recently had a problem with my neighbours, or they had with me.
I was having some work done on the house, builders arrived at 7am to get ahead of traffic. They made a lot of noise, woke up the neighbours.

Got a call from the son next door, to complain. I contacted the builders, asked them to stop, ie stop doing the noisy work, until after 9am.

I called into my neighbours later to apologise, (I hadn't realised it would be such noisy work and I had not informed them in advance).

The "offence" I "committed" was disturbing the peace or similar.
I am relieved they contacted me rather than the Gardai. Had they chosen the latter (and seemingly preferred option) I would have felt uncomfortable around them for a long time. Animosity is best avoided.

Why did he complain about the dog? Barking? Defecating? If so, then I suppose (and don't take this the wrong way) you started the problems between you two, and its you that must offer the olive branch... unless of course you want hostility, then go for the Gardai immediately.

I had a similar problem where my neighbour completely removed a boundary hedge, without my consent, which was seperating our properties. I called the gardai. They came to my house and explained that because it was private property that it was a civil matter. In other words I would have to go down the road of sueing my neighbour for damages etc. which is a costly business. That may be your only option, especially if you're living in the country where rights of way, boundaries etc. are a very grey area and the gardai can't get involved. I did ask them to call into his house and give him a warning. They did visit him but I don't know what they said to him.

Hi All,

I thought we had resolved this problem but turns out not. Can anyone advise me if it's my local cc I can get the info I need and to see if there is such a regulation?

Suzy,

if this hedge forms a boundary between two properties then the following applies:
1. the hedge is owned by both parties
2. the convention is that the centreline of the hedge is the actual boundary
3. neither party has any legal permission to extend anything beyond the centreline of the hedge
4. there is no height restriction on a planted hedge

however there is a legal 'right to light'. I dont know if this applies to planting, it does apply to structures and maybe you should get legal advise on it...
i cant find any irish SI on it but heres a leaflet from england http://www.rics.org/NR/rdonlyres/8C69CA5C-9640-4FA8-AC4E-F6DECEE5EC7E/0/righttolight1.pdf

The Hedge is within our boundary and the piece of the hedge that is in his boundary he has hedge the same height.

well, if he trespasses onto your land to cut down your property, its an illegal act.... i cant advise anything other than whats already been advised.....

Wow id be really annoyed if a neighbor did this to my property . Its a classic case of people jumping the gun and demanding rights they don't have ! If they dropped into you and asked "would you mind if i trim your hedge as its darkening our garden " I'm sure you would not have minded ? but this behavior is unbelievable ! its your call now as how to approach this .My advice would be to drop in for a chat and tell them that if the height of the hedge is an issue you are happy to come to some agreement of height ,but you are entitled to grow anything on you own property to any height ,and their belief that they have a right to trim your hedge on your property is unfounded. keeping good neighbors is always the prise to aim for IMO.

If their hedge is coming onto your property you would have every right to trim it imo.

Obvious question - is it a Boundary Hedge? If no, did he cross the boundary to cut your hedge?

Back