password safe

any online passwords can be hacked,

advice from microsoft website is not to allow your pc to remember any passwords but to write them down, (opposite to the advice of the make it secure website), but the logic being that a hacker can't hack into a piece of paper beside your computer:)

No. I would consider using something like an encrypted external drive (e.g. flash fob using TrueCrypt or the like) maybe even with fingerprint or other biometric access (i.e. a two factor authentication process) and keeping a secure backup in a secure location (possibly even bank safe keeping).

found this one it seems to have positive reviews http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/keepass_portable

it means i can use the password generator to create safer passwords
and their not stored on my laptop but on my usb stick on my key ring.
i still keep a paper copy in a safe as back up. i guess as another layer of protection i could get one of those fingerprint access usb sticks,

im still nervous about having username and passwords in the one place for
online banking
credit card
ebay
pay pal
credit union

Password safe and Keypass are similar programs (i.e. not online applications) in that they both store the information in an encrypted file, so even if someone gets the file they have to figure out how to decrypt it.

Portable apps is another program that allows applications (such as Keypass, amongst others) to run from a USB drive

Password safe and Keypass are similar programs (i.e. not online applications) in that they both store the information in an encrypted file, so even if someone gets the file they have to figure out how to decrypt it.
Which might be possible?

anyone here use this? https://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe
how safe is it to store all your passwords in something like this? can it be hacked into?

I use it regularly and find it very good. The contents of the file/"safe" are encrypted using the passphrase, so choose a good (i.e. strong) passphrase and the strength of the encryption should be very good, at the least far better than many of the alternatives means of storing passwords (such as storing passwords on a page, storing them on your phone, etc.).

You can store the encrypted file anywhere you like. Storing it on a USB key means you can easily carry it with you and also that it is not sitting on any network-accessible device (where it can be vulnerable to remote access attempts).

When retrieving a password from the safe you can choose to copy it into clipboard and then paste it into the appropriate login box directly, so that the password is never visible on the screen - very handy if anyone is looking over your shoulder, for example.

All in all, I think it is a very good product and far more practical (for me), and potentially safer, than options such as encrypting your hard disk, etc.

Back