interested in renault espace downside info please

johnwilliams

interested in a second hand renault espace ,what downsides are involved
are they heavy on petrol compared to other cars in their class
are they hard to get parts for /are parts expensive/and faults
any other information you have deeply appreciated

If its an older model automatic then walk away. Gearbox costs €3k to fix if they go wrong. Turbos are a bit weak on newer models. Its a shame as they are soooo comfortable.

Heap of trash, like all Renaults - steer cleer

from HonestJohn

".....Serious reliability problems reported by ADAC (the German breakdown organisation) in its 2001 report. In June 2001 Renault was rated by Motor Warranty Direct as Britain's joint 4th worst out of 22 marques for used car warranty claims. 3rd from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey of V and W reg cars. Bottom in 2002 Which reliability survey of cars up to 2 years old;...."

[broken link removed]

be careful it it has "plip cards" instead of keys. They break quite easily and having just had to replace one for a laguna at 260 euro and my other one is iffy i will not be buying another renault again. You can only get them from renault and they than have to be coded- hence the 260 euro each!!

be careful it it has "plip cards" instead of keys. They break quite easily and having just had to replace one for a laguna at 260 euro and my other one is iffy i will not be buying another renault again. You can only get them from renault and they than have to be coded- hence the 260 euro each!!

OK, I only had Scenic's, both petrol & diesel - but I really, really liked them. When they're good, they are the best. But when they go sour.......mmmmm

As for 'plip' cards, well, my Audi cost Eur135 just for the key - and I had to give the car to the dealer for a day to recode it, so they're not the only ones charging well for that sort of stuff..........

Avoid petrol ones - alcoholics. 120dCi best. And of course it all depends on how much you're spending. If you buy it cheap, you can sell it cheap.

Those Renault (and others) keys are an absolute rip-off. Having some knowledge of the area, I'd estimate the manufactured cost to be less than €10. This would suggest a retail price of about €50, excl. VAT (assuming a relatively short supply chain and very healthy margins).

I've no idea about cost, margins, and sales price for other car parts, but €260 is just taking the p***.

Back