Window regulations & fitters

P

Pat

Window regulations & fitters

I wonder if anyone could help with the following queries;

1. According to the building regulations, windows that are less than 800mm above floor level, must have barrier protection. Safety glass is one option I think. Anyone got any knowledge or experience of this? the design of my windows is like a french door effect, whereby the entire window opens outwards in two vertical halves.

2. Are there many people around who will fit windows which are not supplied by them? I have a quote for supply only of windows from the north but will obviously need a fitter (Meath).

window regulations

Hi Pat!
Check in the corners of your French door panes for a sign "BS" or something , the same as on a car window .
If you find it than the window pane is already made of safety glass .

Re: BS

Hi heinbloed, I don't have the windows yet, but I'll check with the manufacturers. Do you think that in all cases the use of safety glass is sufficient to comply with the regulations, regardless of window design and level? Also, can the safety glass be combined with the low-e glass?

safety glass

I haven't checked - but I don't think that safety glass is sufficient unless that part of the window is fixed & doesn't open. The idea behind the barrier rule is to prevent people walking/falling out through an upstairs window, so the safety glass wouldn't be much use. BTW, the barrier rule doesn't apply to ground floor French doors or windows as far as I know - but they must always be of safety glass anyway.

safety glass

Hi Pat!
As Laoise has told us It is not mandatory to have rails on glass doors or windows, I think that these are meant to stop people falling down from heights.Safety glass should be sufficient for the ground floor , but it depends how high the ground floor is compared to the ground outside, the house might be build on a slope where one side of the ground floor is level with the foot path but on the other side it could be 3 meters above ground.
Safety glass can be combined with any other glass , low-E, self-cleaning etc.,it is just another type of glass.

correction s.a.

It is not mandatory.....ON GROUND FLOORS !!

Re: Window regulations & fitters

Hi just one more thing is the doors in a shop or your home. the easy way would be to put two posts or maybe putting a stallriser if you could send me some drawings i should be able to help you further my email address is seanfrance@hotmail.com

All unprotected glazing within 800mm off floor must be safety glass to BS6262.
So you either provide a guarding or use safety glass.

Sean82, that message is over two years old, I'd imagine Pat has it sorted by now. Please note that the AAM do not allow advertising.
Leo

OOPS - never seen the date of the original and subsequent posts

Back