My parents

M

Morutea

Hello all, It is my first post :) I want your thoughts on this: Do you feel that because your parents may have supported you when you were younger, that you "owe" it to them to support them now? (Pay the bills they run up etc, just because they did it for you when you were younger and unable to work) Thanks.

Hello all, It is my first post :) I want your thoughts on this: Do you feel that because your parents may have supported you when you were younger, that you "owe" it to them to support them now? (Pay the bills they run up etc, just because they did it for you when you were younger and unable to work) Thanks.

Well.....depends, and it's all about opinions.

First of all, it's any parent's duty to support a child until they're 18, they brought them in to the world - so they've no right to whinge about the bills at a later date! (It's my "I didn't ask to be born" line of thinking).

From 18 (21 max) on I reckon you should be on your own financially. If parents offer support at that stage it should be paid back, in my humble opinion.

(Don't start me on 'kids' expecting their parents to part fund the purchase of their homes or mind their children, it drives me INSANE :mad: )

If at a time they should have been saving up for or enjoying their retirement parents lend money to children who are 18+ then yes, I reckon it's an absolute obligation that the children pay them back.

But if you didn't leave your parents short at that stage but they're expecting you to prop them up when they run up bills (when, presumably, you have your own to worry about) I wouldn't feel obligated....but would help if I could.

What d'you think?

An interesting question.

I believe your parents either choose to have you or you were a lovely surprise.

It is their natural & social responsbility to provide for you up to a point. Currently society sees it stop at 18. This differs per society.

Thats it. If they spend wreckless in the mid to late age and expect you to help out that is highly unfair & unresonable.

Of course you have the choice to help them it is only emotional ties and your love that might suggest to you may feel obliged.

The structure of grand parents to parents to children, in terms of back up levels has broken down. Everyone is living like a child even the very aged and this is casuing such problems as bad debt and the like in old age.

I am not sure this helps.

However if you were to follow you logic as outlined above, for it to work you would have to expect your own children to do the same for you.

I don't think this at all the natural cycle, so therfore I probably can safely disagree and say no.

However as humans we have a massive capcity to adapt & cope in unusual circumstances.

Back