Change of name

gauloise

I would be bvery grateful if anyone could offer me advice on the following:

My surname on my birth certificate issued in the United Kingdom differs to my father's surname on his birth certificate in spelling (4 letters differ) though the name at a push could still be pronounced the same. This has been explained to me by the following:
At the time my parents were living in the UK when they registered their marriage, the registra misunderstood my father's surname and my parents at the time of the swinging sixties did not really see this as an issue! All my father's legal documents, property etc.. are in his name while my mother, my sister and I have the "new" name! Could this be a problem to us in the future and should I consider changing my name and if so is this a difficult process. Legalities aside I would like to have the same name as my extended family. Any thoughts appreciated..!

You can get the birth cert changed, its a very long and difficult process. :(

You would be better off getting your name changed by deed poll. Cheap and you can do it yourself. I found the process easy and cheap.

The fact that you do not have the same name means nothing at all. Is his name correctly listed on your birth cert as your father. There are many kids that have their mothers name and it does not effect their inheritence rights to their father's estate.

As my birth was registered after they were married, my birth certificate has my father's new name not the name on his own birthcertificate. I understand from Bon 007 that it is possible to change ny name on my birth certificate and would be interested in finding out a bit more about this if you have more info I would be grateful. The other problem is that my uncle on father's side has named me (with name I should have as this is how I have alwus been addressed by him) in his will. Would this be a problem if name is different? Thanks for all your responses

I don't know about the UK, but in Ireland it is a very long and difficult process to get a birth cert altered. I am sure that court orders are required.

Contact Somerset House in London and ask them what the procedure is.

Back