Ryain Air Vouchers mean expensive premium rate phone calls and expensive flights!

macnas

I got a voucher for Ryanair. Decided to use it. This meant phoning Ryanair on their premium number to do the booking. 33 cents per minute. The whole proceedure took 18 minutes. I kid u not!. There were some flights in sterling. The prices charged were much higher that those that came up on the Ryanair site minutes before. For example one flight I costed at €65.00 became €85.00.

Re: ryanair ripoff again

Maybe the person who bought you the voucher should have read the terms & conditions?

Their credit card fee online is also gone up to €10.

Was looking at Ryanair flights from London to Dublin for this coming weekend, and Ryanair were more than twice as expensive as the flights I eventually got, with BMI from Heathrow.

Like anything else, at this stage, Ryanair may be benefiting from consumer inertia and just the assumption that they'll always have the cheapest flights.

For a Friday evening to Sunday evening set of flights (granted, these are expensive anyway because of timing), Ryanair were more expensive from all three of their London airports than BMI, Aer Lingus and even Cityjet from London City.

So, Mary Harney was right. Shop around!!!!

ronan_d_john said:
Ryanair may be benefiting from consumer inertia and just the assumption that they'll always have the cheapest flights. [...]Shop around!!!!
I !

DrMoriarty said:

DrM in that post you said you were charged €70 credit card fee for 7 people. Is it per person not per transaction then?

Well, I wasn't actually charged it, because I bought elsewhere — but Ryanair's CC charge is €2.50 per person, per flight (i.e. €10 each on a round trip Shannon/Stansted/Jerez). I just tried it again now and the prices have dropped a little, to about €1900 for the seven of us — but that involves an overnight in London.

Doh!!!!

I always thought it was €5 flat because I was usually booking a return flight for myself. This time I was also booking for a friend and I have been giving out that it is gone up to €10 but that makes sense now :rolleyes:

Just a reminder.... the original post by macnas claimed that Ryan Air Vouchers resulted in expensive, time consuming phonecalls and flights that were more expensive that availiable on the website.

Macnas,

Were the terms and conditions printed on the voucher?

aj

They're printed on the website:

Ryanair Gift Voucher Conditions
dot.gif

• Vouchers are issued in amounts as specified at time of purchase. If a voucher is not used/redeemed in full at the time of booking, the balance is non refundable.
  • Vouchers are issued in single denominations for the requested amount up to and including £50/€50. Voucher purchases over £50/€50 will be issued with two or more vouchers totalling the requested amount.
  • Flight bookings must be made using the gift voucher within 6 months (186 days) of the issue date, after which the gift voucher becomes void. Travel can take place up to 12 months from the date the gift voucher is issued.
  • The validity of the vouchers will not be extended .
  • Vouchers are valid only for the name shown on the voucher (as specified by the purchaser at the time of purchase).
  • Vouchers are non transferable and non-refundable.
  • A maximum of three vouchers per passenger per return flight may be redeemed.
  • Vouchers are valid only towards the cost of Ryanair flights (including associate taxes, fees and charges). They may not be used for other products (e.g. car hire and travel insurance).
  • Vouchers can only be redeemed by calling Ryanair Direct.
  • Web fares/discounts are available using voucher payment.
It may not be a 'rip-off', but it's hardly a good deal. Balance 'lost' if you don't spend the full face value? Six-month, non-extendable validity period? Non-transferable? How many other businesses would impose those kinds of restrictions on a gift voucher...?

Back