New chainsaw won't start.

Draigean

Hi,

I bought a new chainsaw two weeks ago, a Stihl MS 170.
It's my first petrol saw, I previously had an electric.

I used it for the first time yesterday. It started and ran well from both a cold start and a warm start.
This morning it started and ran well from cold start. However, when I tried a warm start, and all subsequent starts, it would not fire.
Any suggestions?
I've dried/wiped the spark plug.
I'm a novice when it comes to petrol engines but thought I'd try a few troubleshooting acts this evening before going to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks.

Well if you bought the chainsaw new two weeks ago, you should bring it back immediately, as it must be covered by a warranty. Little point in seeking answers from persons not in the business when the pros will be obliged to do it FOC.

Hi,

I bought a new chainsaw two weeks ago, a Stihl MS 170.
It's my first petrol saw...

I'm a novice. There's a possibility there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the chainsaw. Instead, it may be something I've done. Which has caused the problem.

Duh!

...but thought I'd try a few troubleshooting acts this evening before going to the dealer tomorrow.

(The dealer is not open 24 hours, and will not be open until tomorrow, in which case "immediately" is essentially "tomorrow")

Duh! Duh!

Last edited:
So on a Public Forum you expect people to visualise and do imaginary tests to work out what is wrong. But you want to do to late night tree felling in darkness.

Maybe after you bring the chainsaw to the dealer where you bought it, you should stop off at the Doctor.

DUH ! DUH !

Well its hardly going to be used to strip wallpaper is it ??

Asking the obvious question, is there petrol in it?

Also you need to premix the petrol with two stroke engine oil as well.

See here for info: http://www.stihl.co.nz/fuel-mix.aspx

Also check is there a rubber petrol primer button to be pressed multiple times before starting, like there is on a lawnmover. Also ensure any required switches are in the on position and any safety switches are off.

Keep an eye on the chain oil level as well, when cutting logs etc this may need filling every third time you fill with petrol

Draigean, bring it back to the dealer.

I had a similar issue with a chainsaw bought new last year. Ended up getting it replaced twice. First time was similar to what you have described, dealer tried it and could not get it to work, had it a few days and still couldnt so he replaced it.

Once you get a new one (which you should if there is something wrong with it) go through the starting procedures again with the dealer and troubleshooting.

I have also tried to start it since then with the Chainbrake on a couple of times and ended up looking like a total eejit when I realised. Make sure you haven't accidently knocked against that

I hope the OP is alright !! He hasn't been on since yesterday and fear that the headlines of the papers might read 'The Dublin Chainsaw Massacre'.

Flooded by the novice!

As suspected, the problem was with the novice rather than the tool. The engine was flooded. When I tried to start the chainsaw when it was warm, I had it set to half-choke, whereas it should have been set to on.
The dealer got it started in about 30 seconds.

For future reference and information, when the engine is flooded, set it to on, the rip the cord repeatedly like a m'f'er. I mean, really REALLY go at it, and use the drop-pull start method. It'll leak and spit petrol, but it'll start.

Think of Pete Townsend's windmill method of playing guitar. Replace plectrum with cord, replace guitar with chainsaw. Get bystanders to stand back.

BTW, is there a problem with the thread subscription notification on AAM? I only got one email (to inbox, zero to spam) despite it being set to "Instant email notification", and there must be a half-dozen-or-so posts here.

BTW, is there a problem with the thread subscription notification on AAM? I only got one email (to inbox, zero to spam) despite it being set to "Instant email notification", and there must be a half-dozen-or-so posts here.

Usually you only get one notification, then you'll have to visit the thread before the next notification arrives and so on.

To clarify:

For future reference and information, when the engine is flooded, set it to on, the rip the cord repeatedly like a mad fiddle player. I mean, really REALLY go at it, and use the drop-pull start method. It'll leak and spit petrol, but it'll start.

Back