Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Forums no longer in use > Suggestions for Comprehensive Review of Public Expenditure

Notices

Old 26-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Frequent Poster

Default Public Service- Inspection of workloads

Having spent the weekend listening to several honest Public Servants, both past and present, talking about work in the service it is clear that there are numerous areas where departments are clearly overstaffed.

One of the people that I spoke to indicated that there work involved approx 1 month when they are moderately busy whilst the rest of the year they have very, very little to do. Most of their work was automated last year and now what took a month can be done in a short few days. This person and quite a few others in the same dept 'save work up' so that if their boss comes along that they have something in front of them to look busy. This person told me that everyone is the same and that they are bored silly looking at the internet. To make matters worse this person works in an area which is supposed to be recovering money for the state from people who have mispaid, and they are wait for it UNDERSTAFFED!

Surely this is wrong. Surely there must be checks in place to alert those in charge to this. Surely workloads are checked to see that an appropriate amount of work is being done by individuals. Surely those who are working have a means by which they can report those who are doing nothing. Surely this can't be really happening?

Well yes it is according to other people I spoke to over the weekend and it's systemic. It is not limited to one part of the PS. The unions don't want to know about this because their membership are part and parcel of this systemic cover up of the inadequate checks of productivity within the PS.

I work within the PS at the frontline and for the most part it is not the frontline workers who participate in this practice because exposed as you are to public scuitiny your lack of work productivity will not go un noticed for long. However I cannot say the same for those people who are protected by the annonimity of the wider PS, those who donnot directly interact with the public.

The public should have a PS but one that is open and honest and one in which the individual should have to account for their workand be transfered or made redundant if and when their workload is no longer sufficient to justify their job.
Old 13-05-2012, 07:38 PM

the secret is out at last! you are quite right in what you say re 'under-worked'. however, senior management are fully aware of the situation and keep it so deliberately - it's called 'empire-building'. in the civil service, senior mgt power is reflected by the number of staff under that mgt.currently, senior mgt are grimly holding on to staff numbers as they are nervous of organisational change which may dilute their individual influence and importance.

the same attitude is directed to staff who have higher educational qualifications and a business-like mentality of emphasising value to the tax-payer. these staff are frequently ignored, moved to areas where they cannot utilise their skills and viewed as trouble-makers. the simple reason being that senior mgt feel threatened by such staff, as these staff are normally younger than senior mgt.

the civil service operates as a closed shop, by which i mean that if a senior mgr is challenged by an employee, who has clear supporting evidence, all the other senior mgrs will close ranks and support the clearly incorrect senior mgr. this is mafia-like behaviour and is rampant.

due to the hierarchial structure of the civil service, ethical standards and culture are set at the top of the hierarchy=senior mgt. the roots of a tree support the whole structure. if the roots are rotten, so is the tree.

providing value for taxpayer funds is the last thing senior mgt are concerned with. that's why the civil service is urgently in need of rapid cultural change in order to be fit for purpose. cutting costs, which is the government's cuurrent and only approach, will not achieve the necessary cultural change.
Old 13-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Frequent Poster

I take a lot of these vague, unsubstantiated reports with large pinches of salt. But let's assume that the reports are correct, just for a moment.

The first step towards solving the problem is for amh as the person with direct knowledge of the location of the understaffed sections to write to the relevant Minister or Secretary General with these specific details and ask for their response. Over to you, amh...
Old 14-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Having spent the weekend listening to several honest Public Servants, both past and present, talking about work in the service it is clear that there are numerous areas where departments are clearly overstaffed.

One of the people that I spoke to indicated that there work involved approx 1 month when they are moderately busy whilst the rest of the year they have very, very little to do. Most of their work was automated last year and now what took a month can be done in a short few days. This person and quite a few others in the same dept 'save work up' so that if their boss comes along that they have something in front of them to look busy. This person told me that everyone is the same and that they are bored silly looking at the internet. To make matters worse this person works in an area which is supposed to be recovering money for the state from people who have mispaid, and they are wait for it UNDERSTAFFED!

Surely this is wrong. Surely there must be checks in place to alert those in charge to this. Surely workloads are checked to see that an appropriate amount of work is being done by individuals. Surely those who are working have a means by which they can report those who are doing nothing. Surely this can't be really happening?

Well yes it is according to other people I spoke to over the weekend and it's systemic. It is not limited to one part of the PS. The unions don't want to know about this because their membership are part and parcel of this systemic cover up of the inadequate checks of productivity within the PS.

I work within the PS at the frontline and for the most part it is not the frontline workers who participate in this practice because exposed as you are to public scuitiny your lack of work productivity will not go un noticed for long. However I cannot say the same for those people who are protected by the annonimity of the wider PS, those who donnot directly interact with the public.

The public should have a PS but one that is open and honest and one in which the individual should have to account for their workand be transfered or made redundant if and when their workload is no longer sufficient to justify their job.

The dogs in the street know this goes on. Although some are still in denial.
But dont worry, weather the the proposed referendum is passed or not the conditions of the next bailout will address this mid 2013.
Old 14-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Frequent Poster

All this rubbish about "Frontline" services, how do "Frontline" people do their job without someone ensuring they have a safe building, appropriate training etc

It's all playing into the hands of those attacking public servants, divide and conquer.

There are definitely some areas of the civil service that are over-staffed and some under-staffed there always have been. I know there are moves to address this and the fall-out from the poorly managed early retirement scheme, these things do take time.