Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Overseas Travel,Holidays,Hotels & Airlines

Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Canal boat holiday - possibly in France

We are thinking of going on a short holiday in early June and are considering hiring a boat in France for a few days. Has anyone done this? And do you have any tips?! Thanks.
Old 27-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeFox View Post
We are thinking of going on a short holiday in early June and are considering hiring a boat in France for a few days. Has anyone done this? And do you have any tips?! Thanks.
No and, seemingly, few if any on AAM have. I recall Hugh Leonard used to wax lyrical about boating on the Canal du Midi and I would fancy a similar trip. Also, Rick Stein the chef, has a book about his trip on the Canal du Midi etc. Also, the Nantes-Brest canal is navigable and a popular destination. Also, look up a book called 'Narrow Boat to Carcassonne'. It's an account of a trip across the Channel and into the French canal system all the way down Carcassonne. Good read. If you go, would you post on here for our information?
Old 27-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Frequent Poster

I remember watching Rick Stein's trip along the Canal du Midi. It looked really great until I saw the behind the scenes show about making the series. He said that they were plagued with midges and mosquitoes. We stayed in Carcassonne and went on a short trip along the canal that was great fun.