Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > General Financial Issues > Health Insurance and healthcare costs

Old 28-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Frequent Poster

Default vhi - change of policy

I changed my policy with vhi around Christmas and so instead of being part of a group scheme through my job Ipaid as an individual the money up front in order to keep the same level of cover as I had previously for the same price. Up to then my VHI had always been taken from my cheque and they said this could take some time to sort. The money has stopped being taken I'm just wondering is it back from my employer it will come or the VHI? Has anyone else got it back? Who should I be getting in touch with?
Old 28-05-2011, 06:52 PM

I'm slightly confused but my reading of your post is that you paid a full year's premium at Christmas but still had some deductions made through your salary and the deductions have now ceased. Your best bet is to ring the VHI call centre on Monday and ask them when you can expect your refund. As far as I can recall companies don't issue refunds on VHI's behalf.

Old 29-05-2011, 02:01 PM

when someone leaves a work group scheme, its up to your work to tell the insurance company what date the company have stopped taking deductions, and the comp should stop salary deductions also. Once vhi/quinn/aviva know what was paid, from when you took out your own policy to when you are paid up wo with work, the difference will/should be refunded. Your work will have a contact in vhi that they would deal with when sorting the work policies. either get the contact details or the work person should be able to call for you
Old 30-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Frequent Poster

Both my company and I made a yearly payment to the VHI on my behalf. The VHI never noticed the double payment. I came across this by accident. I eventually got a full refund by contacting the VHI. I still wonder why the VHI never picked up the double payment. You really need to be alert when dealing with them.
Old 30-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugBreath View Post
Both my company and I made a yearly payment to the VHI on my behalf. The VHI never noticed the double payment. I came across this by accident. I eventually got a full refund by contacting the VHI. I still wonder why the VHI never picked up the double payment. You really need to be alert when dealing with them.
Up to a few years ago at least, VHI's salary deduction system was mostly manual, so that explains how mistakes like this could happen. I don't know if that's still the case though, they may have improved the system since.
Old 30-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugBreath View Post
i wonder how many companies pay up on time now a days witht the credit crunch and cash flow. kind funny book keeping if it was not noticed after lodging bith amounts to your account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFlare77 View Post
Up to a few years ago at least, VHI's salary deduction system was mostly manual, so that explains how mistakes like this could happen. I don't know if that's still the case though, they may have improved the system since.
not all HR offices are good at deductions and updating payment to an insurance company, lot of manual work and not being able to give proper payment details. brother had an issue few years ago with quinn and his work place, where quinn lodged the company payments to another company scheme and caused problems, got sorted in end.