Hillview, Ballinteer, D16

setesh

I know Ballinteer generally has a good name but I noticed that properties in the Hillview Estate tend to be far lower in price than the surrounds.

Is Hillview not a nice place to live?

Is there an element there that has resulted in the lower property values?

Any opinions welcomed

Thanks

Was County Council Estate for a long time - some rough elements there. Probably a lot more settled now so worth a look depending on price and location required. Check with the local Garda (Dundrum) as to level of problems in the estate in recent years. Research the estate by visiting it at different times of the day. It's certainly in a good general location for all of the amenities. Down to price, location and your research on current environment there. Good luck.

Thank you,

I spoke with a couple of folks in the area including a delivery guy.
All bad news apparently.

No strong opinions but a quick google throws up the following:
------------------------------------
From breakingnews.ie

03/07/2008 - 16:44:17

A case of mistaken identity which sparked a “riot” in a Tallaght housing estate has lead to prison terms and suspended sentences being imposed on a group of young men.

A house in the Castle Park estate was the focus of a “terrifying” attack by up to 30 people with a variety of weapons including a wheel brace, a kitchen knife, a table leg, a screwdriver and baton.

Brothers Brian (aged 34), Colm (aged 31) and Niall Byrne (aged 19), all of Castle Park, Tallaght; Stuart Douglas (aged 21), of St Aongus Lawns, Tallaght; Craig Lacken (aged 23), of Hillview Estate, Dundrum; and Steven Byrne (aged 22), of Castletymon Court, Tallaght pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Castle Park on February 4, 2006.

----------------------------------
From herald.ie

By Andrew Phelan

Monday April 27 2009

A DANGEROUS driver who forced a garda patrol car to crash into him when he screeched to a halt during a high-speed chase has been jailed for five months.

Father-of-two Bryan Kelly (34) said he was acting as a "good Samaritan" by speeding to hospital with clothes for his girlfriend's sister when he was pursued by gardai.

Sentencing him and banning him from driving for 10 years, Judge James McDonnell said he "had to protect the public".

Kelly, of Hillview Estate, Ballinteer, admitted charges of dangerous, careless and uninsured driving. He was already under a 10-year ban at the time of the incident in Rathfarnham on November 20, 2007. Tallaght District Court heard gardai were in an unmarked patrol car at a junction when the defendant drove up at speed in his Opel Vectra and crashed the red light. The gardai activated their siren and followed him as he drove up Rathfarnham Road at speed.

He failed to stop at the Butterfield Avenue junction and drove up Nutgrove Avenue until he reached the junction with Nutgrove Way, where three women were stopped in a car at the junction there. The driver held her ground when she heard the siren, and the defendant swerved, clipping her car.

As he pulled out into the middle of the junction, followed by the gardai, he slammed on the brakes without warning. The patrol car, driven by garda David Conroy, had to swerve and hit the rear of the defendant's car.
Nobody was injured. The court heard Kelly had 44 previous convictions for offences including drunk driving, dangerous driving, hit and run and failing to stop for a garda.

Solicitor John O'Leary said the accused had been at his girlfriend's house when her sister asked for a bag of clothes to be taken to her in hospital.

"He said he would bring the bag of clothing over," Mr O'Leary said. "He stupidly did the good Samaritan."

Judge McDonnell said the accused was lucky he was not facing more serious charges, such as reckless endangerment.

"The sudden braking in front of a patrol car is suggestive of one intention only," the judge said.

Giving evidence on the accused's behalf, his father John Kelly said his son had made several attempts to get off drugs. The accused had been affected by the death of his older brother in a car crash.

"Jail won't do him any good," Mr Kelly added.

Judge McDonnell said, notwithstanding what had been said on the accused's behalf, "the public must be protected".

He sentenced him to five months for dangerous driving, five months for uninsured driving and three months for careless driving. He was fined €350 for having no licence.
-------------------------
By Cormac Looney

Thursday March 05 2009

A WANTED aL-Qa'ida terror suspect is using a second address in Ireland -- staying at a south Dublin council house.

Members of the garda's Special Branch traced Ibrahim Buwisir (47) to a property in the Hillview estate in Ballinteer, south Dublin, which he is suspected of using as a second Irish base.

There were growing questions today about his maintenance of Irish citizenship after he was flagged on a UN terror list.

Despite his extremism the Libyan national was granted Irish citizenship by the Dept of Foreign Affairs and was even given membership of the National Union of Journalists here.

Members of the security services here believe he should be stripped of Irish citizenship for raising funds for terror organisations.
----------------------------
independent.ie

By Michael Doyle

Friday February 08 2002

A TEENAGER who caused an estimated £1m damage to a school by starting a fire has been jailed for 6 years by Judge Elizabeth Dunne at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Brendan Payne's arson attack on Ballinteer community school caused so much structural damage that it took more than €63,0000 to knock the affected wing down and make it safe. It hasn't been rebuilt because a new second-level school is planned for the area.

The school was closed for three days because 18 classrooms suffered smoke damage and there was a fear for the safety of the pupils.
Irreplaceable computer software as well as much equipment was also lost in the inferno.

Payne (19), of Hillview Estate, Ballinteer, pleaded guilty to arson on November 14, 2000. He has three previous convictions.

Garda James Mulligan agreed with defence counsel Raymond Farrell that Payne was a pupil of the school up to a year or two before the incident but there was no indication this was any kind of revenge attack.
He added that the incident had an adverse affect on the image of the school and it was still trying to recover.

Judge Dunne said the only conclusion she could draw from this case was that it was "a pointless, meaningless and mindless act that caused enormous damage, not only to those connected with the school, but to the local community.
--------------------------
herald.ie

By Eimear Cotter

Wednesday June 17 2009

A youth has been accused of threatening a boy with a knife after the child told people that he had seen him damage a car a few days previously.
David Kennedy (19) is alleged to have caused €460 damage to a car in a southside estate as he made his way home from his granny's funeral.

The defendant, with an address at Hillview Grove, Ballinteer, is then accused of producing a knife a few days later and making threats against a 12-year-old boy, as the boy had seen him damage the car and had told the owners.

I know Ballinteer generally has a good name but I noticed that properties in the Hillview Estate tend to be far lower in price than the surrounds.

Is Hillview not a nice place to live?

Is there an element there that has resulted in the lower property values?

Any opinions welcomed

Thanks

I went through there the other day, and I'd automatically discount it. There's still kids hanging on street corners.

I used to work in the nearby primary school. The Hillview estate children were generally perceived to be coming from more disadvantaged backgrounds and performed acordingly....

I used to work in the nearby primary school. The Hillview estate children were generally perceived to be coming from more disadvantaged backgrounds and performed acordingly....

Maybe they performed accordingly to live up to the teacher's expectations of them?

Hillview, Ballinteer, Dublin 16

Hi,

Just came across this discussion on Google and I just wanted to add to this post as I was very upset by what I read.

I've just set up as a user on Askaboutmoney to post this one thing in defence of Hillview.

I completely understand where the previous posts are coming from, Hillview has a bad reputation but take it from me a person who lives there, you'll never find a safer, close net community than this estate. Fair enough if people disagree, Hillview isn't without it's problems like every other estate, but genuinely... I've been living here for 4 years and would never move away from the place. I grew up in a neighbouring estate so knew the estate well growing up and now I'm living here with my husband and 2 children and wouldn't change a thing for the world.

So just in Hillview's defence, it's not all bad.

I also grew up in Ballinteer (not in Hillview) and Im afraid I wouldnt buy a house here...I wouldnt care how cheap they were.

Im sure, like everywhere, there are plenty of nice decent people living there but those news stories above speak for themselves. Wouldnt touch it.

those news stories above speak for themselves.

If you search hard enough, you'll find those news stories about any estate. Here's what I found about the very stable, very settled estate of Broadford with 3 minutes on Google;

[broken link removed]
http://www.independent.ie/national-...nt-to-jail-for-molesting-19-boys-1969558.html
[broken link removed]
http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/man-had-spamspamspam-1178740.html

Don't base important life decisions on what you read in sensationalist papers.

Hi complainer, my opinion on hillview is based on being a Ballinteer native, not sensationalist newspapers. Those articles just enforced what I, or anyone I know from ballinteer, thinks about that part of the area.

Houses in Broadford are minimum 50% more expensive than Hillview. Theres a very good reason for that!

I grew up near to Hillview Estate and in the 80's and 90's it was a very settled estate. Most of the kids from the estate would have gone to the local national school which I attended and generally speaking they were from decent, hard-working families.
Recently, some of the older tenants have been moved/ moved of their own accord and newer council tenants have taken over. Unfortunately, the new tenants don't seem to have settled into the local community and have been causing quite a few problems, nothing too serious but annoying vandalism, car theft etc (speaking from personal experience here, not hearsay).
There is a reason that the houses there are going cheap. My advice would be to hold off until Broadford, Meadowbrook or Ludford are within your financial grasp.
If you want a good idea of the estate and surrounds, then do a few drive-bys to the DFRC carpark late on a Fri/Sat night.

Back