Letting agents worthwhile?

They weren't very exciting tbh. Especially the 2 out 5 with no response. Maybe the market has changed since 5 months ago or a year or more ago. Perhaps a new member will see this new thread and respond. As people are more likely to respond to recent 2007 thread than one in 2005. If new threads are a problem, maybe you could merge them all together.

I'll get my coat on the way out...

That's just one example of such a search. There may be other threads. I didn't say that such threads were guaranteed to help you but just that it's a good way to start.

i would avoid if you have the possibility and inclination to do it yourself.

we went with a letting agent as we had moved abroad and thought it would make things easier. But every query and every complaint had to go first through agent, then to us, we had to make decision, then back through agent to tennant. everything took ages to resolve and luckily we never had any really major problems. we expected agent to figure out all the financial details but they made some errors that took ages to sort out. Basically, we would have been better off just doing everything ourselves!

don't know if we had a particularly bad agent but that's our experience for what it's worth.

I used an agent and they are good if your not located near the property you are letting ie 100+ miles away from property being let.
They can sort out smaller issues such as plumbing / heating etc and resolve any small gripes the tenant may have. You do sometimes have to chase them for rent though they got paid by the tenant.

Agents earn their worth if there are issues with the tenants in a house.
If you have long standing Tenants you maybe better pocketing the fee and looking after the property yourself.

If you can avoid using letting agents,do....... they are overpriced for what they offer. I used them in the past but they were ripping me off,eg..when heating went in apt the tennant rang agent and they sent out their own "plummer",if thats what you.d call him! I wasnt contacted at all about the problem,and im handing enough regarding heating. its only when i was told that a major overhall of heating system was needed and i already owe over 100 euro that i went out to them and realised that the boiler needed to be bleed,had it done in 2 mins. my letting agent also charged 5 euro to change a light bulb!!!!granted the tenant shouldnt have rang them to tell them a light bulb went,she did. i told the letting agent to you know what,and havent looked back. do it yourself,you might get 1 or2 calls a year,you will save money.

People I've talked to have wildly different views about them. Either fantastic or terrible. We've a few of houses rented in the extended family, we have to make a choice to use a letting agent or for someone in the family (me) to get more involved with them. I'm not keen. I've enough of my own stuff to do, and also there too many cooks involved to leave you in peace to manage them.

Personally I prefer to do letting myself. You have the opportunity to meet
potential tenants face to face and point out standards you expect
and answer any queries.It can seem daunting but it isnt really.
Remember its your property.
Ardman

Back