Retirement due to ill health

Brighid

Hi, I am thinking of retiring due to ill health, how does it work? I have just been out of work for the past 5 months and I dont think I can go back. I have 36.5 years as a nurse in the public service. Will my pension be reduced? How long will I have to wait before I get it?
Brighid

Last edited:
If you retire on grounds of ill health and have 36+ yrs pensionable service you will get added years which will take you up to a full pension. In the public service you get almost 7 added yrs once you have more thab 20 yrs service.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your retirement!

The OP is a member of the HSE superann scheme so unless you work in the HSE or similar org it would not apply.

I would think so but what the OP is requesting is being signed off work on the grounds of ill health - there are other terms which will apply. You need to check with you own superann dept.

The added years only apply where someone is retiring on health grounds. Its aim is to boost their pension so that they don't suffer too much in financial terms because they have to retire early due to illness.

AFAIK it doesn't apply in any other circumstances.

If you retire on grounds of ill health and have 36+ yrs pensionable service you will get added years which will take you up to a full pension. In the public service you get almost 7 added yrs once you have more thab 20 yrs service.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your retirement!
Thanks for info, I have been told that I will be waiting for it for about 2 years is this true as I will not have any income in the interim

Back