PVC Kitchen Door problems

bertson

Hi All;

About 6 months ago air bubbles started to appear on the the doors (PVC coated) in the Kitchen, now most of the coating seems to have come away in the inner panel of each door.
the Kitchen is 7 years old.

I went back to the kitchen manufacture where we got the kitchen, their stance is that they got the doors made by a firm in NI, and that PVC doors are only guaranteed for 3 years (we stupidly didnt ask that question when we bought the kitchen).

He said that we need to get replacement doors and they would cost up to EUR 25 each to replace (10 doors).

Does that sound correct?, surely a kitchen should be not need new doors after 7 years?..

Do I have any right to comeback here?

Thx
B

A lot of the coated doors have similar problems.

Without any form of guarantee on paper, it may be difficult to argue your case. You need to establish that 7 years is not an acceptable lifespan for the product you bought. This will depend on a number of factors including the price you paid. The National Consumers Agency may be able to advise you further. Small Claims Court may be an option.
Leo

Most vinyl wrapped doors are fine and should last years. There has been a particular problem with a NI company who are now out of business.
They supplied a lot of the cheap doors during the boom times. I would guess the price on the kitchen was on the lower end of the scale.
As a matter of interest did you buy the kitchen as part of an allowance for an new biuld?
In a lot of cases the builder came to the cheapest possible arrangement with the kitchen companies.

Back