Is there a level of tax you would find too high?

shnaek

Just wanted to throw out the question:
Is there a tax level above which you would be tempted to emigrate?
Or would you stay here regardless of the tax rate? If so, why?
I am aiming that question at people currently employed.

The marginal income tax rate (all income taxes) should not exceed 50%.
After that it’s a disincentive to work.

The current 52% marginal rate is very high. My job is fairly mobile (could live elsewhere while doing same job for same company) but my family isn't (kids in school) but I think a marginal rate above 60% would push me to either (a) emigrate - maybe commute while the kids are still at school and then move permanently after that; or (b) try to restructure my pay so that some pay/bonuses were not due for a few years and then move when it suited me to live in a lower tax country.
There are often calls for a third rate of income tax above our current 41% - but if that rate was the 55%/60% often asked for, the top marginal rate would be 66%/71% when you add in USC and PRSI - that would be beyond ridiculous and I would uproot my family to avoid that.
That said, I would be a lot more open to whatever top rate had to be endured if there were a more balanced income tax distribution. At the moment, the top 5% of taxpayers pay 50% of income tax and something like 50% pay no income tax. I don't consider that terribly fair and a higher marginal rate without a balancing move at the other end would skew the structure even more.

Govt. don't seem to be cutting back on the waste.

People are paying far too much tax plus stelth changes.

I look around me here in work, and most of the people left here have children or houses or both. There are a handful of us that aren't in that situation, and 100% of those are considering leaving.

The medium term future for Ireland, in my opinion, is grim. I just can't see any great future for the middle income earning, skilled worker. I wish I could, but this new government are doing nothing for those of us who are still working, so what hope is there? Higher and higher taxes. No move to cut waste or ludicrous pensions. Every chance the government is going to screw the working person more and more each year. We need a radical change, and we are not going to get it.

Over 50% is too much

I used to do a lot of overtime, don't bother anymore
I work hard imo [well too much time on AAM :D] and like my free time

Now if I was offered time in lieu for my overtime I'd do it.

But overtime money and heavily taxed, well it's not for me
I don't have many expenses and would prefer the time off over the extra take home

Same thing is happening here, micmclo. Nobody is interested in overtime. It's just not worth it. So time-in-lieu is being offered in some cases, but we are already under staffed, so time-in-lieu can't be offered to all.

Haven't been paid overtime in years but that's another story, 45 hrs a week just part of the job

There is no tax rate that would encourage me to emigrate, providing I'm paying the bills. Having said that, the amount of tax I am happy to pay is linked to the amount of tax the country wastes on things like 6 figure pensions for top public sector workers, paying politicians laundry bills etc etc. The more we waste, the less I want to pay

I have a total tax take in mind at which stage we will leave. Due to a new baby we have voluntarily reduced our combined income for a better work life balance, so this has mitigated the tax increases of recent years.
I also only do overtime for time in lieu now. Up until 2 years ago I did some freelance translation work, which I have given up, as I am not willing to work for less than 50% of the reward. Another example of tax increases reducing the total tax take!

I have a total tax take in mind at which stage we will leave. Due to a new baby we have voluntarily reduced our combined income for a better work life balance, so this has mitigated the tax increases of recent years.
I also only do overtime for time in lieu now. Up until 2 years ago I did some freelance translation work, which I have given up, as I am not willing to work for less than 50% of the reward. Another example of tax increases reducing the total tax take!

Presumably someone else took on that work so I'm not sure if the total tax take was reduced?

Presumably someone else took on that work so I'm not sure if the total tax take was reduced?

Given the nature of the work involved in freelance translation, there is hardly much guarantee that the person who eventually took on that work is resident here?

The company I dealt with is based in Germany. I know for a fact they do not have other translators based in Ireland; generally speaking translation work is usually demanded to be done by a native speaker, ideally living in the country.
So in my case, yes, even that little extra income that I generated is now lost to the Irish Revenue.

The company I dealt with is based in Germany. I know for a fact they do not have other translators based in Ireland; generally speaking translation work is usually demanded to be done by a native speaker, ideally living in the country.
So in my case, yes, even that little extra income that I generated is now lost to the Irish Revenue.

So you're a native now? Does that mean you too begrudge people? :D

Back