Can't delete a folder from memory stick

dave28

There's a folder containing a file which I cannot delete from my 512 memory stick. When I try, the prompt says : "Cannot remove folder (name of folder) - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

I know the file was a pdf and I know I no longer need it. It's not vital that I delete it but if anyone knows how I might as well .....

As the error suggests, it sounds like the file allocation table is corrupted. You could just back up the other contents of the stick and then format it.

Thank you Decani - simple solution but I didn't actually think of doing that !

As the error suggests, it sounds like the file allocation table is corrupted. You could just back up the other contents of the stick and then format it.
Just out of curiosity, is this one of the risks of removing a memory stick without using the "safe" removal option from the start tray?

[I'm not asking if that's exactly what happened in this instance, just if it is one possible risk]

It sounds like it. The I-pod users on another thread think that might be what caused their I-pods to crash. I know incorrect disconnection caused my 15 year old daughter's player to crash.She lost her music because we had to format the memory.She learned her lesson though!!

She learned her lesson though!!
Totally off topic, but just incase it may help Caff (or other users) in the future.

Look through any Apple or iPod info and you'll see you can't save music from your iPod to your PC. Well, technically they're right, you can't.... until you download some software.

Music can easily be backed up from an iPod to a PC using programmes like Yami Pod ([broken link removed]) for example (just one I happened to see mentioned on AAM and tried it out), but lots of others out there - and free to download. They can be used to save music from any iPod to the PC running the software. (Another example http://www.copypod.net/)

Other software (the name escapes me atm) is available which can be installed directly onto the iPod which allows the iPod to act as a storage device and any song on that iPod can be tranferred to any PC (no software needed on the PC afaik - haven't used one/any of these personally, hence why I can't remember any specific names).

(having used it just the other day I was very happy with Yami Pod. Transferred 30GB from the GFs iPod to her new laptop and the whole process was very simple [and surprisingly fast])

Just out of curiosity, is this one of the risks of removing a memory stick without using the "safe" removal option from the start tray?
You can avoid the need to safely eject flash drives by configuring Windows not to cache changes and flush them at its own leisure. Go to Start -> My Computer, right click and choose Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager, right click on the relevant drive under Disk drives, go to the Policies page and choose Optimize for quick removal rather than Optimize for performance.

Back