Not just a recession - how to prepare

Cool, I've always loved the Mad Max films....soon I may be able to live the dream :)

So, if i had my seed potatoes & toold etc the next problem is how to protect the crop. I have access to site of a couple of acres in Dublin surrounded by houses with a fresh water supply. Any suggestions on how to keep the hungry masses out?

There is also a problem of having a trade, no money in the computer game, no power to run them, but I recon I would make a good blacksmith, must buy a few books on the subject... Plenty of money (goods to be traded) in producing basic hand tools and shoding horses.

I am starting to sound like a old school teacher I had, who with his relatives has drawn up plans out how to survive a nuclear war. They had farm land in a valley in Clare which could only be accessed by an easily defended pass…

anyone who thinks there is no need to reduce public sector expenditure has not got a grasp of reality. we've gone from public sector expenditure of 4 billion in 2000 to 19 billion in 2007- its hardly rocket science to identify public sector expenditure as an area which needs to be urgently addressed. This is not public sector bashing this is harsh reality.

My yawn comment was directed at the public sector bashing from rabbit.

So, if i had my seed potatoes & toold etc the next problem is how to protect the crop.

We have a small patch of ground that we can grow crops in. We are also going to put up fencing around it - out of sight out of mind. Chain link fence worked out too expensive, and can be easily cut.

With regards a gun, do you not have to have a licence to get one? I've been looking at archery bows, but a shotgun might be a better deterrent. Maybe even a replica?

So, if i had my seed potatoes & toold etc the next problem is how to protect the crop. I have access to site of a couple of acres in Dublin surrounded by houses with a fresh water supply.

You'll also need to deal with blight warnings - keep an eye on the farming forecasts and have the spray handy when you need it.

Don't forget the wind-up radio for when the electricity goes out....and the wind-up torch...first-aid kit....inflatable boat for the floods coming with global warming....and the thermal underwear as our climate deteriorates when the Gulf Stream stops....

Gordanus - I've already been looking at alternative energy sources. I expect we will be having blackouts later on in the year.

I've been thinking of a diesel generator that I can hook up to my house electrics, as a short term solution. Thinking more long term, a steam powered generator may be the way to go. It seems to be much more complex though, from the youtube videos and websites I've looked at.

Move to Romania!!

Things are nothing like as bad over here as they seem to be in Ireland. And if it all goes pear-shaped here too then you can buy a nice property in the country with a large garden for buttons where you can grow your own vegetables, raise a few animals, go fishing and generally take it easy which is what I do at least one month a year (except the animals bit) and what my neighbors in the village where I keep my house do all the the time.

Life's too short. Lighten up! Remember there are always other options.

I've decided to only think positive thoughts and as a mark of that I'm currently starting a new business.

Food stockpiling strategy.

---------------------------------
Short term (Haulage firms go on strike, or other distribution problems)

- Tins of tuna, beans and fruit salad.
- Bottled water.
- Frozen foods
- Slabs of chocolate.

Medium term (hyperinflation, massive unemployment etc)

- Tins of spam
- flour
- Condensed milk
- salt and sugar

Long term (social breakdown, war etc)

- Water filtration system, suitable for turning rainwater into drinking water.
- Tins of cat food (For human consumption)
- Vitamin XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
- seeds
- Bags of glucose powder

No medicine on the list. I'm currently bringing the kids around all the GPs in the county and getting antibiotic prescriptions ( they always have some cough or cold), filling the scripts and holding on to them. My local chemist has started becoming suspicious about my seeking the longest best before date so I am starting to go to other chemists for my own scripts ( anti-inflammatories, strong pain killers, all sorts of contraceptives). Thank god for the drug refund scheme.

I thought about training as a chemist, doctor or nurse but soon worked out it would take too long. So I'm doing a herbal remedy course by correspondence.

Has anything happened in Iceland that would necessitate the measures as espoused by Leghorn et al in Ireland?

This reminds me of the film Tremors, where a one of the locals had himself a neat little bunker/fort and a stockpile of weapons....a bit paranoid, but then he needed it in the end!

Fools! don't you see Leghorn is obviously Brian Lenihan trying to make you all shop for consumer goods, water filtration systems, weaponary and underground bunkers so that it will stimulate the economy! And ensure that all our morons are living underground eating beans when Obama comes to visit...

Back