Optimum tv / phone set up

Soulking

Hi all,

I am just about to move into a new place, & setting up phone, tv etc from scratch, what should be a simple task, but with all the choices in home entertainment & telecommunications, is becoming a big dilemma.

The house has a upc connection, which I could use for phone / broadband / tv channels but I am wondering if there is another cheaper more flexible option especially with all the services available on the internet.

Priorities would be Irish TV channels & making national / international calls

Would be interested to hear everybody's views, however different they might be....

I think the bundles with UPC are not too dear and for €66.00 a month it seems a good deal especially with the Anytime World option. Wonder if you went for a more basic package on telly would you be able to beat them down on price. As mentioned in that thread the Loyalty Section is normally for current customers but you could try ringing 061-272190 to see what they say.

There is another way - get mobile Broadband (about €20 per month) and use that for Internet (its quite good in most locations) and with that, you get Skype and other online facilities for making cheap phone calls. Combine that with pay-as-you go mobile phones, and you will cut your costs for communications to a minimum. Get a Satellite box from Powercity or Aldi/Lidl, a satellite dish (if there's not one already on the house) and you can have up to 200 free channels. To get the terrestrial channels, you will need to either have a TV which will cater for digital transmission, or purchase a once-off set-top box. This scenario reduces your continuing payments to a minimum (ie the cost of your mobile phone).

Thank you both. upc will be my fallback, but looking to see if I can do something different, that could be cheaper & give me greater variety.

Will look into what you suggest eithneangela, and if anybody has any other suggestions for what they would do if starting from scratch, be interested to hear...

UPC broadband is so reliable and good speed that I think I will go with that, & use skype for my calls.

Now I will look into how to get some tv , as lease does not allow satellite dish.

Thanks for your advices

Back