Best footwear for icy / snowy weather

musicfan

Hi all

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good pair of boots for the icy / snowy weather (hoping I won't need them this year but trying to be organised!)

Thanks

Why not invest in a couple of walking poles which you can also use during the summer - assuming you like hill walking.

Rambler's way have a good selection of footwear for hiking, hillwalking and are quite reasonable - just a happy customer :)

Depends on if they're casual, hill walking, suitable for going to work in, or what. I wanted stylish boots casual and for work suitable for being heavily pregnant in icy weather and ended up buying a couple of pairs in Ecco.

Keep an eye out in Lidl/Aldi for their winter boots; good thick tread on the sole & nice warm liner and very good value for money. Got great use from them last winter.

I got great wear out of my croc wellies last year is the heavy rain and especially in the snow, they were warm compared to regular wellies as the sole was so thick.

I got a pair of snow boots in Pamela Scotts Ski Shop on South William Street last year. They were perfect for the snow and ice we had last january.

I spent 3 weeks in Russia last winter and wore a pair of caterpillar boots every day. My feet were warm and dry and I didn't slip at all.
BTW Russian women wear stilettos in the snow.

Ive ordered some of http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002LWDCCS/ref=ox_ya_os_product (these) - they have good reviews on Amazon - I will let you know how I get on with them - I fell a couple of times last year - I hate icy weather!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm looking for something to wear just while getting to work or going to the shops ......... don't need anything for trekking up the mountains. Not really concerned what they look like or warmth - just want to be able to walk safely!!

Have tried Ecco boots before but I find them extremely slippy even in wet weather, I find walking in them is like walking on a skating rink:(

I also find wellies and runners (even my caterpillar's as well!) slippy in the wet weather never mind the ice and snow.

Truthseeker, I'm liking the look of the Traction Aid thingies from Amazon....might give them a go myself!!

My mother has told me that in her day, on icy days people put another pair of socks on OVER their shoes.
Apparently this prevents slipping on the ice.

They are called Austerity Boots.

My mother has told me that in her day, on icy days people put another pair of socks on OVER their shoes.
Apparently this prevents slipping on the ice.

They are called Austerity Boots.

I've seen people do that here on the continent.

Truthseeker, I'm liking the look of the Traction Aid thingies from Amazon....might give them a go myself!!

They arrived, but havent tried them out yet. I can tell by the look of them that they are going to be good on ice or compacted snow, but not useful on frosty or generally 'slippy' pavements - they have little spikes to gain traction - the spikes need something to stick into - so if we get great sheets of ice like last year they should be good.

Good idea about the socks over the shoes people!!

Well got a chance to try out the Get a Grips today!

They are BRILLIANT on compacted snow and ice. Theyre a bit hard to walk on on clear pavements and inside floors (like tiled floors in shops).

I tried them in the middle of a totally compacted carpark and it was like I was just walking on a normal pavement, no slipping at all.

So a big thumbs up from me.

I ordered the Yaktrax Walkers from the US a the start of the year but the snow had melted by the time they arrived.

I'm so glad the last few days that I got them though. Make a big difference.

The problem with ordering online is I need shoe help right now and cant afford to wait for a postal delivery. It seems even my post hasnt been arriving since the bad weather. Are there any stores in Dublin which sell those things which fit over ones shoes to give better grip ? I d walk down to them tomorrow and make a purchase. If nobody has them then they sure missed out on a good entrepreneurial opportunity

Back