Leo Varadkar and holidays

dewdrop

This Minister was savaged in the media recently when he suggested people would be able to take a holiday next year. Following his remarks there has been massive publicity on how to get to Poland next year for the soccer so i wonder was the criticism justified?

Euro 2012 -a holiday !

It's more a call to arms , a mobilisation , if you will , of Traps Army.

Do you really think that I or my travelling companions want to be torn from the bosom of our families to watch , live , through our fingers our brave lads attempt to out football Spain - all this without our wives to keep us company ?

It's our duty :D

I think Leo was being flippant & was rather unfortunately hung out to dry for such flippancy.

The minister for tourism suggested that people holiday in Ireland. What's the problem?
Loe has put his foot in it a few times in the past but this was a non-story.

Given the state of the country, there won't be many people travelling to Poland next year. However, I suspect there will be a lot of credit union loans taken out for home improvements.........

Particularly as he was speaking as tourism minister at the launch of Ireland's blue book - a brochure marketing upmarket hotels and guesthouses in Ireland.

This Minister was savaged in the media recently when he suggested people would be able to take a holiday next year. Following his remarks there has been massive publicity on how to get to Poland next year for the soccer so i wonder was the criticism justified?
Of course it wasn't. The Indo story was a piece of drivel that wouldn't have been out of place in The Sun in the Gotcha! era. And Paul Melia, God bless him, is no Kelvin McKenzie.

Whatever about Varadkar suffering foot in mouth did anyone hear his less intelligent FG colleague Jerry Buttimer on The Last Word last night?

Someone accused Jerry of being like a clucking hen when he spoke in The Dail and Jerry retorted that he was more akin to a Gladiator doing battle. I didnt hear the remainder of his talk as the studio guests and myself convulsed in laughter.

To my utter shame Jerry is a Cork man :-(

Leo's comment about holidaying at home was a non-story. It's the way he said what he said was the problem.

"The only people whose pay is being cut are ministers and senior civil servants. That means incomes will be the same next year.
"You'll have to pay €100 for your house and 2pc on a new TV or fridge but that's it. That means people will be able to take a holiday, which they might not have been able to afford this year."

So, does everyone think they are going to be better off next year because they decided not to use direct taxes so our pay cheques will be the same? And also, what pay cut did Ministers and senior civil servants take?

Health insurance? Up
Public Transport? Up
Road tax? Up
Petrol? Up
Home fuel? Up

Do I need to go on Leo?

Bottom line: Despite the indirect tax hikes, a lot of people will still be in a position to afford holidays. Had Varadkar said that everyone would be in this fortunate position he would have been rightly open to attack but the fact that he didn't say this at all didn't seem to suit Paul Melia.

Bottom line: Despite the indirect tax hikes, a lot of people will still be in a position to afford holidays. Had Varadkar said that everyone would be in this fortunate position he would have been rightly open to attack but the fact that he didn't say this at all didn't seem to suit Paul Melia.

A lot of people will still be able to afford a lot of things but a lot of people won't be in that lucky position so how about a well paid minister choosing his words a lot better a couple of days before a budget that takes almost €4 billion out of the economy.

Whatever about Varadkar suffering foot in mouth did anyone hear his less intelligent FG colleague Jerry Buttimer on The Last Word last night?

Someone accused Jerry of being like a clucking hen when he spoke in The Dail and Jerry retorted that he was more akin to a Gladiator doing battle. I didnt hear the remainder of his talk as the studio guests and myself convulsed in laughter.

To my utter shame Jerry is a Cork man :-(

I won't go into too much detail, but this eejit taught me for a little while some time ago. And when I say eejit I am being very complimentary.

A lot of people will still be able to afford a lot of things but a lot of people won't be in that lucky position so how about a well paid minister choosing his words a lot better a couple of days before a budget that takes almost €4 billion out of the economy.
What exactly did he say that he shouldn't have?

It was a funny thing to say, but I find the response more depressing, as often is the case.

As dewdrop has observed, the story dovetails nicely with Ireland qualifying for Poland. It's about time, for those of us in a position to, to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get out and live a bit.

If 20% of people are feeling the pinch and can't take a mini-break, I sympathise, but it won't stop me from doing so or even talking about doing so and people should not jump down my throat at the mere suggestion I might go on a holiday or think others who can afford to should do likewise.

The domestic economy has stalled despite the fact that there are plenty of people still have money. This is beacuse they are not spending it due to the gloom and doom we are wallowing in.

Money in the bank is dead money to the economy right now as it is only being repatriated to the EU paymasters. Yes we need to save, yes we need to pay down debt and in normal circumstances more savings and less debt will lead to higher investment as the banks recirculate the extra liquidity.

These are not normal circumstances though, those who can afford to spend in the domestic economy need to be gven every encouragement to do so. Leo's got the right idea at the back of it all.

What exactly did he say that he shouldn't have?

For starters

"You'll have to pay €100 for your house and 2pc on a new TV or fridge but that's it.

That's it???? And the 2% VAT rise only impacts in new TV's and fridges does it?

Then there is

The only people whose pay is being cut are ministers and senior civil servants.

Maybe I missed something in the budget but where did this happen?

Then there is

That means people will be able to take a holiday, which they might not have been able to afford this year

So people are going to be able to afford things in 2012 that they couldn't afford in 2011 i.e. they will be better off. I must have read the wrong budget.

If 20% of people are feeling the pinch and can't take a mini-break, I sympathise, but it won't stop me from doing so or even talking about doing so and people should not jump down my throat at the mere suggestion I might go on a holiday or think others who can afford to should do likewise.

These are not normal circumstances though, those who can afford to spend in the domestic economy need to be gven every encouragement to do so. Leo's got the right idea at the back of it all.

Nobody is asking you to stop talking about it but if you are sitting around a group of friends that you know are struggling, I doubt you are telling them about how you are looking forward to your holiday next year and how they will actually be better off next year because incomes weren't touched.

By all means encourage people to spend but that little speech of his is not the way to go

It was a funny thing to say, but I find the response more depressing, as often is the case.

As dewdrop has observed, the story dovetails nicely with Ireland qualifying for Poland. It's about time, for those of us in a position to, to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get out and live a bit.

The domestic economy has stalled despite the fact that there are plenty of people still have money. This is beacuse they are not spending it due to the gloom and doom we are wallowing in.

Money in the bank is dead money to the economy right now as it is only being repatriated to the EU paymasters. Yes we need to save, yes we need to pay down debt and in normal circumstances more savings and less debt will lead to higher investment as the banks recirculate the extra liquidity.

I wouldnt say that.... not while paying 30% in DIRT

Back