Construction Trade: Do I have to pay an employee for Good Friday?

mmefc

just a quick question,

Im in the construction trade,i s good friday a bank holiday?

I have one employee, does he have to work Good Friday?

Also the Easter Week, when i was serving my time it was up to ourselves if we wanted to work, if we didnt it was at our own expense.

Re: self employed i employee

No. Good Friday is not a holiday. There are loads of threads about this on AAM.

Re: Do I have to pay an employee for Good Friday?

Surely this 1 employee must be pretty good (or you would have got someone else) I also assume with 1 employee you must have a close working relationship.....so go on...pay the guy?girl for the 1 day, and you will more than get it back in goodwill.

Good friday and easter week are part of the construction trade annual hols and your employee is entitled to them.

Some builders and tradesmen work instead and some dont. We were usually asked if we wanted to or not, not enough work around this year so we're not working.

If they do work easter week you still have to give them one weeks pay on top of their wages. Check siptu.ie for pay and conditions in construction trades.

[broken link removed]

Moved from Askaboutbusiness to Work etc which is where questions similar questions relating to employER/EE rights and responsibilities have been asked and answered before.

mizen head its not the issue of not paying the guy for good friday its the point of been under pressure with 2 bank holidays on the bounce coupled with good friday and easter week and then the apprentice is gone to fas for 3 months the following week..

I also work in the construction trade. We pay 1 days leave to our employees who take the day off. A lot of our sites don't close for Easter week and we don't pay the lads an extra week if they work it, but obviously we let them take these days later in the year if they work it.

Good Friday is an annuall holiday as set out by the CIF. So if your employee works this day that he can take another day off at a later date or you pay him double. Also next week, Monday is obviuosly a bank holiday and the rest of the week is builders easter holidays, again that is set out by the CIF.

Not everyone in the construction industry is a member of the CIF, so these dates don't always apply.

As far as I'm aware the CIF are not a regulatory body and have no powers beyond giving guidelines.

From the SIPTU page on construction, Good Friday comes out of Annual Leave, i.e. it does not cost the employer anything extra to pay for it, as they have to pay for the leave day whenever it's taken.

Back