Can I claim benefit while starting up my own business...

K

kerryberry

Just wondering if this was possible??? Have recently left work to start up my own business but it will be a very slow process. I won't actually make any money in the immediate future... was wondering if I could sign on for a couple for months and even pay it back if necessary when I complete tax returns at the end of the year.... any info much appreciated :)

If you mean Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance then one key qualification criterion is that you are genuinely available for and seeking work. If you are busy setting up your own business then presumably this will not be the case? You certainly cannot get a loan from SW to tide you over and pay it back when you're flush! Have you not planned how to fund things while setting up your business as part of your business plan?

In case it's relevant if you were PAYE up to now and have stopped working then you may be able to claim back some tax via a Form P50.

Form P50 - First Claim for Repayment During Unemployment

I've had the same thoughts about setting up my own business.

The nearest in my experience to what youre looking for is the back To Work Enterprise Allowance which I dont think you can claim if youre working already.

[broken link removed]

But theres probably a range of supports if you put in the legwork to find them.

Yeah, I know - in a perfect world I would have had my business plan & funds sorted, but I ended up quitting my job a couple of months earlier than planned so am not as prepared as I should be....:eek: but thanks for that!

Jobseekers Allowance is means tested and it does allow for self employed people to be on it, if your earnings are below the threshold you will qualify. There are loads of self employed people signing on, the means test will look at your profit and loss accounts.

Of course if you are signing for over 6 months you will be sent off to FAS to check on what you're doing about seeking work. Jobseekers Benefit does not allow payment to self employed people unless they have a contract to provide a service to an employer e.g. an accountant and they must work for less than 3 days per week. Certainly apply for the allowance and see how it goes.

I stand corrected. Section 3(h) of the JB summary here mentions this alright:
(h) Self-employment and entitlement to Jobseeker's Benefit

A self-employed person may be entitled to JB in respect of days of unemployment, where the conditions of entitlement are satisfied.
For example, if a person is engaged under a contract for service to work (on a self-employed basis) for 3 days per week, and is unemployed for the remainder of the week, s/he may qualify for JB in respect of the days of unemployment - provided the qualifying conditions are satisfied.
I presume that there's something similar for means tested JA (JB is PRSI linked and not means tested).

If you are in receipt of any social welfare payment or job seekers etc, you can go down to your local county enterprise board.

If you are approved for your grant, usually around 5k plus a max of 800 towards website development, you also keep a percentage of your allowance over a 2 or 3 year basis. You can also keep your secondary benefits.

They also offer a mentoring service and you should use it as the report goes towards your grant.

Nothing to lose by trying and best of luck

Hmmm - even more food for thought :) Yes I think maybe I will head down to my local citizens advice office and see if they can clarify things for me. I'm not very good with this sort of stuff!!!

Back