Doctors are a lot to blame giving sick certs.

Personnally, as someone who grew up on a farm, I got little sympathy if I was sick, cows don't milk themselves. Strangely in 20 years working in an office I've had 3 days sickness (and I'm excluding accident related issues here), some people manage that in 20 weeks

Well you're either exceptionally lucky with your health or you're one of those annoying people who come into work with colds and stomach bugs and give them to everyone else. It really annoys me when people get smug about how little sick leave they've taken. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have great health.

As an employer, sometime I have issues with sick notes presented to me. On a number of occassions, I've refused to accept a sick note for people who were off sick for one day and the note said "flu". (Not flu like symptoms, just flu). You don't get the flu for a day. Likewise, I've refused to accept certs which state someone is "sick", without outlining what is wrong with them.

My doctor refuses point blank to put the nature of your illness on a cert for work. As far as he's concerned its none of the employer's business.

My doctor refuses point blank to put the nature of your illness on a cert for work. As far as he's concerned its none of the employer's business.

Your doctor should put it on the cert if you tell them to. Who do they think they are?

Back