oceanfree.net

A bit more detail (e.g. specific verbatim error messages, if/when it previously worked etc.) might help.

If this is a non subscription "free" (i.e. call charges only) dial-up ISP then why not try [broken link removed]?

The message reads: The connection to the server has failed. Account: Mail Server, Server:mail.oceanfree.net Protocol POP3: 110. Secure(SSL): No, Socket error:10060 Error No 0x800CCOE.
I have a broadband connection which is working.

You should be careful with oceanfree. I found a way of getting user passwords to mail accounts (and I am not that technically minded) and sent them a mail telling them how I did it.

Response from oceanfree: hide your address line bar and then it will no longer be possible!

Needless to say I stopped using my own mail account with them.

Fiametta said:
The message reads: The connection to the server has failed. Account: Mail Server, Server:mail.oceanfree.net Protocol POP3: 110. Secure(SSL): No, Socket error:10060 Error No 0x800CCOE.
I have a broadband connection which is working.
Did oceanfree email ever work for you? When did it stop working? Was this after any changes to your setup?

ClubMan said:
Did oceanfree email ever work for you? When did it stop working? Was this after any changes to your setup?

Yes, it has worked perfectly for two years. Just developed this problem this morning. I'm not a computer expert but as far as I know there has been no change to my setup.

Any Windows Updates or other software download/installed on you PC in the meantime? Have you contacted Oceanfree to see if it's a problem at their end? If it's not then something must have changed at your end. Can you try it from another PC and/or internet connection (e.g. in an internet café)?

ClubMan said:
Any Windows Updates or other software download/installed on you PC in the meantime? Have you contacted Oceanfree to see if it's a problem at their end? If it's not then something must have changed at your end. Can you try it from another PC and/or internet connection (e.g. in an internet café)?

Yes, Clubman - I downloaded Windows (automatic) updates yesterday, also an email I received requested that I download Adobe Reader - could either of these be the problem? My daughter tried getting on to oceanfree from her office this morning but failed so perhaps the problem is more general.

It's a possibility but hard to pinpoint as the problem from this remove and based on partial info. You could try rolling back to a System Restore point before the latest updates and see if that makes any difference. If it does then you know that something in the Windows and other updates may have caused the problem. If not then you can roll back to the current update level. See Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore and http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx (this article) for more info.

Hallelujah! oceanfree is back on line. Seems to have been a problem at their end. Thanks for all your help Clubman!

Back