Why do post offices not sell envelopes?

television

Can anyone explain to me why post offices do not sell envelopes. Was in apost office recently and asked for one and was looked at as if I had two heads, went to another and the same. I mean there has got to be something Irish about that one:)

why didn't you ask them?

I did and the woman just said, "no post offices dont sell envelopes". I said "what" your kidding me, and she just said no we never sell envelopes. I told her that I thought that was kind of strange but there was a queue behind me and so I let it go.

Can anyone explain to me why post offices do not sell envelopes. Was in apost office recently and asked for one and was looked at as if I had two heads, went to another and the same. I mean there has got to be something Irish about that one:)

...something Irish public service about it anyhow :D

I'm not sure about now, but they definitely used to sell pre-paid envelopes, as in envelope with postage paid.

Funny, I'd never think of the post office as a place to look for an envelope. I'd go to a stationers/ newsagents. I suppose it's no more an Irish thing than it is a French thing for tobacconists to sell stamps.

I agree that it is crazy. I was recently in the GPO in Cork and needed a padded envelope and they advised me to go to Easons to get it as they "had a lovely selection". I asked why they didn't sell them and, like the OP, the staff member looked at me strangely and said they had never stocked envelopes. It seems like such an obvious thing that they should be selling - there must be a reason they aren't?!

Newsagents sell stamps in ireland. The royal mail sell envelopes, as does the postal system in australia, they even sell envelopes in Indian Post offices. If you are posting a letter in a post office would it not be logical for you to be able to buy an envelope there or perhaps a box for a parcel etc, seems logical to me. As far as your toacconist sells stamps fine, but it would be a bit Irish for a tobacconist not to sell matches would nt it?

Some of the post offices seem to have been downgraded which I think is a shame. Our local office, in a shop, you cannot get dog licences, send post by express etc., so we have to travel to the post office about four miles away to do these things.

It is part of the official stock to sell stamped envelopes at post-0ffices. In fact they are good value - a goodsized stamped envelope costs 60 cents. Every post-office should have them.

The GPO and some of the larger post offices have started selling all types of envelopes.

The smaller post offices (probably franchised) don't appear to sell them or may do so on a what suits them basis.

Back