Trees to plant along a driveway?

RMCF

Looking to plant a nice row of trees along my driveway.

I want to plant the same type, but don't want to plant anything that will be monstrous in 5 or 10yrs time. Maybe ones that aren't too 'full' and which might only grow to maybe 10ft or so?

Could anyone recommend any species that might suit me?

Obviously important that they don't end up with roots that might cause damage.

Oak ash beech, all slow growing, Apple will not get massive either in 5-10 years

trees

depends on the length of driveway .If its very long lime trees are beautiful.If its a 3 bed semi i wouldnt plant next to a driveway as it will lift the driveway in 10 years.The roots spread.Dont plant near the house as it will interfer with the foundations.I would suggest bushes if its beside the house or driveway,otherwise as i said before,lime trees,cant be beaten

I'm with JMRC on this plant fruit trees. Apples, pears and plums can be all kept small and neat and will bear fruit

The house is a detached, and is on a half acre site.

The tree line would be approx 20ft or so from the house, and the driveway would be maybe 75ft long. Thinking of maybe 5 or 6 trees.

I will look into some of the recommendations next time I'm in the garden centre.

Thanks all.

Lime trees are nice when they are pleached - like the ones in O'Connell St, Dublin . Or you could try the columnar Italian Cypress (not to be confused with the awful Cypress Leylandii). Apple and other fruit trees can be espaliered (I'd say it's not as hard to do as it sounds) and run a little box hedge alongside like these ttp://www.smh.com.au/news/house--home/take-a-bite-out-of-the-backyard/2007/05/10/1178995305049.html

Lime trees are nice when they are pleached - like the ones in O'Connell St, Dublin . Or you could try the columnar Italian Cypress (not to be confused with the awful Cypress Leylandii). Apple and other fruit trees can be espaliered (I'd say it's not as hard to do as it sounds) and run a little box hedge alongside like these ttp://www.smh.com.au/news/house--home/take-a-bite-out-of-the-backyard/2007/05/10/1178995305049.html

I love the look of those Italian Cypress - wonder if they are easy to find around here?

Not so mad on the other type.

Thanks.

Thanks for that link Ophelia.

The OH doesn't like the Italian Cypress, so thats them off the list!!

I have always liked the variegated poplar, and I think maybe 5 or 6 of them, kept well trimmed might do the job.

We have silver birch and they are lovely, they do need to be slightly trimmed every few year's.

Variagated Poplar are ok, but they are a bit common (sorry if that sounds snobbish ;)), and you would need to keep them trimmed every February to keep a good variagation coming in the leaves - they are also deciduous.
I agree with NHG - Silver Birch are lovely.
Think it over for a while, as it is a considerable investment and you will have to look at them every day.

Take your time making this decision. I also like silver birch but saw golden birch a couple of days ago. An absolutely gorgeous tree. Would recommend them. Try to go to a decent centre that focus on supplying trees. Where do you live?
Maple trees can be a pretty good choice also.
I have been to Nangle and Nielson close to Cork a few days ago and they have a fabulous choice of seedings to mature trees. I haven't bought anything there yet, but look at buying a couple of trees this winter. They are possibly a place to visit and get ideas if not buy there.
Future Forests in Co. Cork are also good for advice.
Enjoy developing your home and site. I love trees around a house BUT not to close for obvious reasons.

I live in North Donegal.

I have checked out a few images of the likes of silver birch, golden birch and maple trees. All nice.

Is there any that should be avoided for potential roots damage in the long term?

Can anyone recommend any trees for a garden boundary....looking to hedge an acre site and to plant trees in the hedgerow...perhaps underplant with beech or laurel. Thanks

I've recently planted some trees in my back garden and did a lot of research beforehand to make sure I had the right tree. We actually had an Ash tree planted by the previous owners which we removed as Ash trees can hit 40ft at maturity (according to the garden center this is 20years). While thats a long road off I didnt want to get 10 years down the road and have a monster of a tree in the garden that requried a tree surgeon to remove/top. Went to my local garden center and spoke to the staff setting out what I wanted and getting recommendations and advice from them. I decided on the White-barked Himalayan Birch (Jacquemonti Birch) and Japanese Acers (Maple variety) and they are both absolutely fabulous.

The birch are very light leafed so wont block light and ours are just beginning to show their white bark. They'll hit probably about 25ft at maturity. I dismissed the silver birch as they can hit 10-15m so a bit big for me. The birch varietys are good because they are very conservative with water absorption and have small root systems vs larger trees so can be planted, close together/besidewalls/paths and house.

The Acers arent really suitable for a driveway as have more a bush type shape than a tree but maybe another type of maple may be suitable

STAY away from Oak/Beech trees. These have a large root spread and can easily hit 50ft. My mother has oaks behind her (golfcourse) and they are now monsters.

I have evergreen trees on my driveway. They give me great privacy winter and summer. There is nothing worse than having to keep sweeping up leaves in the Autumn. They do get pretty tall but they are very bushy, if your garden is half an acre you should be able to get away with them.

My friend has Australian psalms in her driveway, I think you need to be living down south to grow these, they look lovely but are a real pain for shedding their rather large needles/stems all year round.

Oak ash beech, all slow growing, Apple will not get massive either in 5-10 years

I wouldn't put apple trees in the driveway, your apples will most likely be raided come September or October also they are not the best looking trees especially without their leaves, best kept in the back garden.

i put upright cherry blosson trees, look great and have a sleek tall look to them. I would agree about going to a good tree garden centre...one factor to look into is the wind direction

Back