replacing a built-in electric oven and hob

Blinder

I'm looking for advice on replacing a built-in electric oven, and if it's a difficult job?
The oven that I plan to replace is a single oven built-in to the kitchen, which a hob on top.

What measurements will I need when I go looking for a new oven?
I assume , the size of the existing hob and the height and width of the oven. Is measuring the depth of the counter enough to find the depth, or should I remove the oven first to find out what the depth of the oven is?

I've being looking at the powercity website, but i know that they just deliever products and leave then in the middle of the floor.

Where do you start when taken the existing oven out? Do you remove the hob first and then remove the oven? Is it a big job? I'm not adverse to DIY, but I am limited in strength

Thanks in advance

All integrated appliances are manufactured to fit in a standard modular kitchen slot of 600mm- the appliance itself will probably be 590mm/ 595mm with 5-10mm for tolerance. Height and depth are standard also, so it should be a simple matter of switching the new for the old. Inset hobs can be a little different, the slot for one may be slightly different to another but the difference should not be significant. You'll need to isolate the power supply for the appliances at the consumer board before attempting this. The oven is retained in place by a couple of screws in either side of the door "stile"/ fascia- they may be concealed by small plastic caps. The oven will be heavy so you might need a hand sliding it into position. Wiring is straightforward- but don't touch this unless you're confident and competent to do so. The hob is retained by metal clamps which are accessed from the underside. A new hob should come with a sealant or gasket for the perimeter.

Carpenter,

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at doing a DIY replacement of an element for a Bosch Double Cooker (main oven). It looks like I will have to remove the main oven from the housing; are there catches/screws that normally hold this in place as the only visible ones are two small screws that seem to be facing the wrong way i.e. vertically from front to back rather than horizontally to the left and right (to secure to the frame at the left/right side.

Thanks in advance.

It's very difficult to comment on this without knowing the actual oven; I would be happy to tackle a job like this if it were my own cooker but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that anyone try doing a job like this themselves- unless they are confident to do so. In answer to your question I don't know, but I imagine you will need access to rear of the cooker to access these elements.

Be careful though - I got a very bad shock when I removed the built in oven from our kitchen. I turned off the oven circuit on the consumer unit, checking that the cooker light on the switch went out, then went to unscrew it from the power supply. I leapt about 4 feet into the air backwards and had a numb arm for an hour afterwards - turned out that the cooker was never wired into the cooker circuit, it had been wired into the mains. The cooker light on the wall must just have been fancy decoration. I have only just bought the place so I hadn't realised they had no connection. Thank goodness for the RCD, thats all I can say, or else I would be a smoking greasy mark on the kitchen floor.

Any electrical work since then I've turned off all the power. What with adventures with gas lines and mains power, its a wonder I'm here at all! ;)

Sylvester, that's some story, indeed you are lucky to be alive! You were probably the victim of some badly informed DIY by the previous owner- I can't imagine any electrician doing something like that.

I have a pen like device that lights when near a live circuit even through the cable. Cost about 15 euro. Priceless story. The dead people who do what you did are not around to tell the story.

That said i only bought the device after i cut a live lighting circuit wire one night.

Thanks guys for the information and advice, I contacted an engineer at the company where I'm buying the new element and they were extremely helpful. Seems that on a double oven you have to remove as one piece, they are not individually recessed in the housing (at least on my Bosch anyway). He also said that it's possible to replace the element without removing the oven as long as I don't let go of the wires when I remove the old element and they slide back behind the casing (hoping my gynaecological skills come through here ;)).

I'm willing to give it a bash as it's pretty straightforward and to have this simple job done by "the professionals" is extremely costly. I will turn off everything at source though and make sure I'm wearing my "all-in-one rubber suit" (don't ask!).

By the way, the company I purchased the element from is www.apart4u.com and they are extremely helpful, even providing videos on their site (and youtube) of the steps involved in such a job.

Thanks all.

Revisiting this thread: can the oven sellers (Harvey Norman, Currys etc) do the fitting?

Revisiting this thread: can the oven sellers (Harvey Norman, Currys etc) do the fitting?

You'll need to ask the sellers you're interested in. Some will, some won't. With the new regs in place, if there's any doubt about the setup, they won't be able to unless they are registered electricians.

Currys offer installation on all their items. Harvey's I wouldnt think so.

Curry's charge €130 for a built-in cooker, €95 for other built-in appliances. Just make sure you don't end up paying €225 for installation of a cooker and a hob... Power City installation charges start at €40 for built-in appliances.

Curry's charge €130 for a built-in cooker, €95 for other built-in appliances. Just make sure you don't end up paying €225 for installation of a cooker and a hob... Power City installation charges start at €40 for built-in appliances.
Those Curry quotes sound very steep to me?

Back