Death penalty for very serious crimes?

You don't like the idea of society ending a life, but cage them up like battery hens and wait for them to die? It might ease your conscience, but it is pretty much just ordering a slow death.

I think you are taking a huge leap there. But let me clarify what I would consider as adequate prison conditions. As part of a sociology class in school (in Germany) we were taken to a juvenile detention center where youths from age 14 to 18 were imprisoned for periods of 4 weeks to 2 years. Cells were individual and 6 by 8 foot, had a fold down bed, which could only be used between 10pm and 7am, a toilette, a small table and chair and a wardrobe. On the wall there was a radio with a selection of 3 radio channels, there was unlimited access to books and 3 meals a day. There was no TV, no magazines unless deemed educational, sweets of all kind were forbidden unless handed out in the cantine. Inmates had to attend school which apparently mainly focused on literacy skills, but there were advanced programs as well.
These were not battery hen conditions, but there was absolutely no luxury by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, youre probably right, but I find it offensive for someone to make such serious acccusations as 'a horrendous breach of confidentiality' and 'leaked information' based on a post I made when the truth is that there was no such breach or leak.

For a Garda to reveal any details of any case that they are working, regardless of how coy or vague they are, is most certainly a leak. For a Garda to reveal gossipy tittle-tattle about the reactions of neighbours is a horrendous breach of confidentiality. If a member of your family was at the centre of such a case, you would be outraged at any such detail coming into the public domain.

For a Garda to reveal any details of any case that they are working, regardless of how coy or vague they are, is most certainly a leak. For a Garda to reveal gossipy tittle-tattle about the reactions of neighbours is a horrendous breach of confidentiality. If a member of your family was at the centre of such a case, you would be outraged at any such detail coming into the public domain.
Hardly a horrendous breach of confidentiality (melodramatic much?) when the neighbour was probably giving his opinion on the accused to anyone who would listen - it's not like the garda gave out a piece of info that couldn't be in the public domain that could be used - hercule poirot-like - to finally ensnare the guilty party!
Most people share tittle-tattle from their workplaces - funny/unusual anecdotes and as long as the people aren't readily identifiable and/or there's no prejudice to an ongoing investigation, what's the harm? Do you know any doctors? I know quite a few and it's very usual to hear the weird and wacky things they come across in training and in the workplace - probably helps them get through the day. Bit of human interest, sometimes a bit of a giggle but really it takes quite a holier-than-thou atitude to find real harm there. You've never been interested in a doctor's funny anecdote you've read somewhere? Horrendous breach of confidentiality?

Pure rubbish and Im done wasting my time.

Back