Tesco Laptop Offer

Laptops generally dont last as long as desktops as people often have various mishaps such as dropping & loosing them & even getting them wet.They also have a hotter and harder life, than desktops and are far more difficult to repair.Batteries have a limited life.Having said all that,they are very tidy and portable. I bought one lately from Dell At £399 euro and it works OK.

some Tesco stores were selling different spec laptops and desktops. Mahon Point were selling a in ferior spec desktop for the same price (799) as Tescos Douglas were selling a better spec.
It looked like Mahon Point had an older store in the stcokroom compared with Douglas.
I bought the 799 model (1024 RAM, 160GB harddrive, AMD3200+ processor, DVD dual layer writer, 17inch Philipas flatscreen, included a cheap Lexmark printer) so with half back in vouochers will be 400 only. I checked on Dell beforehand and for 400 quid you were doing very well with the Tesco offer.

irishpancake said:
RAM can easily be upgraded, see this boards dot ie post

I am aware of that, was just pointing out that Vista won't run (or even install probably) with the out of the box configuration - the graphics card may even be an issue - do the machines ship with a 'Windows Vista Capable' sticker?

Ger said:
Laptops generally dont last as long as desktops as people often have various mishaps such as dropping & loosing them & even getting them wet.They also have a hotter and harder life, than desktops and are far more difficult to repair.Batteries have a limited life.Having said all that,they are very tidy and portable. I bought one lately from Dell At £399 euro and it works OK.

a laptop battery is less than EUR100 to replace. if looked after a laptop is as durable as a desktop.

Personally I think your better off getting a dell. for an extra 100 euro or so you can get a similar spec.

claw said:
Personally I think your better off getting a dell. for an extra 100 euro or so you can get a similar spec.

I would tend to agree - Dell's Value Laptop range starts at €519 including VAT and Delivery. At least you know where you stand with Dell after sales. I've bought several Dells over the years and the only problems I have tended to have are due to my installing too much "power software", not problems with the kit.

As the Tesco laptops etc bought on special offer last July are now up and running anybody had a problem with them? I know nothing about computers but my children got this laptop for me, set it up with broadband and I'm having endless enjoyment. Just look at all the new friends I have made through 'AAM.' Do we have a Xmas party? Part of the deal with Tesco is they pay for my Xmas shopping in November so I can contribute some wine. It was a great deal.

advertising laptops for €599.. and €299 in tesco points as a rebate.Does anyone have an opinion on the spec theyre offering..

Is the Tesco offer on laptops still running does any one know?
Buy for €599 and get rebate etcc

No, the special offer re rebate ran for just one week-end only. However, keep a watch on national press - they could repeat it anytime.

I bought one of the desktops in Tullamore. After a few days the monitor would not turn on. I brought it back to Tesco, who returned it to Iqon. A replacement Monitor was sent out by courier. PC is working brilliantly and I am a satisfied customer...great value.

dave

Back