Problem with Chest Freezer

Jesper

Hi

When we bought last Summer a Novum chest freezer was included as part of the sale - while a few years old (don't know how many exactly) it was in decent nick and we've had no problems up until now when the red 'Alarm' light is on constantly - does this mean it has given up the ghost? The ice has started to melt and the temperature inside in now right at 0c - I've unplugged the freezer for a couple of seconds hoping to 're-set' it but it made no difference. I also reduced the cooling setting (as this had worked previously) but again, no joy. Any advice as to what the problem is? Thanks

Quite likely that the thermostat unit is kaput and needs to be replaced. This is usually doable as a DIY job. It's worth trying this anyway as it should only cost about €20 for the part and if it doesn't fix the problem then you aren't too out of pocket. I would recommend www.mastercare.ie for a replacement. Have the make/model of the appliance handy and even better if you can remove the existing thermostat unit and have those details too. Mastercare will also fit it if necessary. I have found them good value for money (parts only) in the past and very helpful.

I have no vested interest in Mastercare other than as a satisfied customer having found the recommendation elsewhere on AAM.

Jesper,

Why not try phoning Novum ? ( they used to make these things some where around Artane IIRC )

BTW :

We had a Novum chester freezer up untill this spring. It was around 30 years old. ( It had been on its last legs since the previous autumn. )

Replaced with a Liebherr upright.

That's always an option as well I suppose olddog!

As a matter of interest, where did you pick-up the Liebherr? What do you make of it? Much of a space-saver versus the Novum? Thanks

Bought Liebherr from local dealer as he were happy to take away the old freezer after everything was moved into the new one. He also matched the price of one of the larger shops.

Liebherr not exactly the cheapest (!) but I hope it will turn out to be good long term value.

Its great having things in shelves rather than having to look for them in the bottom of the chest freezer.

Does it save space ? Well it depends on the room layout. It has a smaller footprint but does need space for the door to open. In my case I was able to arrange the layout so that it does save floor space.

( I think it uses much less power than the old Novum )

Liebherr not exactly the cheapest (!) but I hope it will turn out to be good long term value.

Its great having things in shelves rather than having to look for them in the bottom of the chest freezer.
Top loading chest freezers may be more awkward for getting at stuff but they are more energy efficient compared to a similar front loading cabinet freezer which require more cooling each time the door is opened.

Back