What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Re: Hmmm

Marion said:
Why don't we agree to buy one food item in Aldi or Lidl that we have not tried before that has been recommended here on AAM and report back on Monday?
Oh - alright then, I volunteer to try the booze that I haven't previously tasted! :D

Do LIDL IRELAND sell a Chilean white wine "Pedro Jimnez 2005 - 13,0% vol. It is excellent with fish and only costs €1.89 here

Treat yourself:
Lidl Apple tart and Cream.

Typhoo Tea - 100 % free.

brodiebabe said:
I bought a Lobster for 7.99 in Lidl the other night. Pinchy is sitting in my freezer waiting for Christmas.

Hi Brodiebabe

Was Pinchy cooked?

Lidl's Special Meusli at £1.49 is the best ever. Their Cod Provencale and their Paella are also very good. The 75% cocoa solids dark chocolate is great broken into your night-time cocoa - giving my age away here!

Just to correct something that I said earlier (a few times) the black tin of espresso coffee is indeed branded Bellarom, the same as the less palatable (to me) stuff in the brown/gold shrink wrapped packets.

Same brand, but a distinctly better quality and finer ground coffee.
I'm sipping a cup of it right now! (ran out of Lavazza...) :)

I need to get some luggage, has anybody tried the Lidl / Aldi stuff.
I see they have it comming soon.
Was wondering whether to get it or wait till the post Christmas sales ans try and get bargain Samsonite.
Anybody have opinions to share.
patspost

We once bought one of their trolley suitcases (not identical to the ones they're running now) and the build quality was pretty flimsy, especially the handle and the wheels assembly. OK if you're not going to 'punish' it unduly, but of course 'punishment' is exactly what a suitcase is going to get, between baggage handlers and horsing it up and down over steps/kerbs, etc. I'd say spend a bit more on a good quality brand; you can't really expect much from three cases for €59.99...

[broken link removed], on the other hand, are excellent value! :)

I am clean out of usb ports. see that aldi have a usb with 4 ports for sale either next week or tomorrow (must check) anyone know if its biz?€12.99.

As far as I know the Aldi/Lidl hubs are generally fine - USB 2.0 and with an external power supply that can be used if your devices need additional juice.

the large jars of sliced crinkle cut beetroot are much more like the beetroot your boil yourself. well - used to boil yourself anyway. sort of history now.

Yeah - I tasted that beetroot in my mother's recently and it's quite nice and not at all like the jars of pickled beetroot that you normally get.

Opening next to EP Mooneys on Walkinstown Rd on Thursday next at 8.00 a.m. We got a mailshot in the door abut it yesterday.

valc

The soups from Aldi are dire- i got a canned soup and it was mink. Also got a ready to pour hollandaise sauce there yesterday and it was absolultely terrible. Shampoo is brutal

Good things include the pasta, mozarella rounds and brie, sun dried tomatoes in a jar, the chorizo is just about ok, but rather bland. Risotto (Arborio) rice at 0.99 is great value compared with tescos 2.49

For the boys, the shaving foam in aldi at 1.85 is an absolute steal. Its a better product than gillette and nearly 33% of the price.

Don't know if you've had the radio-controlled clocks in Lidl Ireland yet, but I saw them in our local store today and bought one. When I got it home it didn't work so took it back and spoke to the Deputy Manager who told me that they had not sold one that did work! When I asked him why, in that case, they were still on the shelf for sale he said he didn't know, it was nothing to do with him.
Cretin was the kindest word I could think of for him.

Warning: the frozen lobster (whilst fun) is quite small and would really only do one person (maybe 2 at a stretch) for a starter. Don't expect too much flavour wise!

I saw those but couldn't make out what's in the packet (well, lobster obviously :)) because of the way it's packed and I didn't see anything obvious in English to clarify. It lobster in a shell or just lobster meat? I presume it's the former since you say it's a small portion?

Back