Non Payment of Child Maintenance

Does anyone know when this legislation about arrears going to be sorted out, i was in court on 2nd nov and there was suppose to be a case in the high court dealing with this the following day according to the judge. My childs father thought he could stop paying because of the recession, didnt stop his nightly visits to the local pub though! Anyway he stopped paying for a while which accumulated over 1200 in arrears then tried to get the weekly payment reduced but to his dismay has not succeeded thank god, what hope have i got of getting the arrears, if the court cant make a judgement on this can i get a collection agency to collect it?

I'm confused about this legislation about arrears. My court clerk hasn't mentioned anything to me and only a few weeks ago he issued a summons to my ex for arrears. Court date was last Monday. I took a day off work, my fiance took a day off to support me. Four hours of sitting in a cold, uncomfortable court waiting room later and I was told the case would be adjourned until a month's time as my ex had a doctor's appointment that day and couldn't come. Seven days in the week,court open from 10:30 until 5p.m. and he just had to have an appointment on that day, at that time. No one thought to tell me. The Family Law system in this country is abysmal. Next court date- I might just have an appointment myself.

Hi Nancy I was in court last July and the case was struck out because of this new legislation I have rang the court offices every few weeks since and still have not been back to court. I haven't received maintenance in over a year at this stage and the court will only chase him for 26 weeks. The last time i rang the court office they advised me to start lobbying my local TD's to have this legislation sorted apparently it is sitting in the senad(sp!) waiting to be passed. I have already been to one TD and she hasn't been very helpful so I am now going to email every TD i can and see how I get on after that I think i am going to contact the media because I am absolutly sick of this situaton after being in it for over 8 year now.

It's beyond crazy and all I've come to expect from our laughably backwards family law "system". I get 50 euro a week for 2 children and today their dad is coming to show them his new car! Their dad who DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!! The mind boggles.

hi was talking to court clerk recently and she told me that although legislation is yet to be sorted it looks like that you will be able to look for up to 2 years arrears, hopefully some of us will eventually get what we are owed

Mel that was a helpful piece in the examiner as i have been finding it hard to find out exactly what the situation was. I'm off to ring the district court again and I am going to email the dept of justice and hopefully there will be some news on this soon.

bmj I'm in a similar situation, my ex missed two weeks of payments in December. His solicitor hasn't replied to a letter and a phone message from my solicitor asking for the matter to be sorted. I don't know how much time would seem reasonable to at least get an explanation about it what with the christmas break and all. My solicitor says we have to issue a warrant for his arrest! I don't know what 'the game' is here, I'm feeling quite frazzled. Did you get advice?

Well, I know a couple that split recently with 1 child and the mother is refusing maintenance from the father! "Doesn't need any of his money" is what she has said. He is a personal friend of mine and has said that he would like to provide his fair share, etc. He told me last week that he is considering applying for a maintenance order himself so that he can make a regular payment through the court. Is that even possible? He has asked his ex to apply and she refused. Crazy LOL

Well, I know a couple that split recently with 1 child and the mother is refusing maintenance from the father! "Doesn't need any of his money" is what she has said. He is a personal friend of mine and has said that he would like to provide his fair share, etc. He told me last week that he is considering applying for a maintenance order himself so that he can make a regular payment through the court. Is that even possible? He has asked his ex to apply and she refused. Crazy LOL

All he has to do is open an account, put the maintenance money in there each week/month and if the mother doesnt want it, leave it there until the child is 18 and give it directly to the child.

He should furnish the account details to the mother, then if she ever does take him to court he has proof he tried to pay the maintenance and when refused is saving the amount regardless.

A very silly mother, the money is not for her, its for her child, so she is depriving the child of its legal right to financial support from its father.

Back