Not just a recession - how to prepare

Gordanus - I've already been looking at alternative energy sources. I expect we will be having blackouts later on in the year.

I've been thinking of a diesel generator that I can hook up to my house electrics, as a short term solution. Thinking more long term, a steam powered generator may be the way to go. It seems to be much more complex though, from the youtube videos and websites I've looked at.

That was a year ago. Things bad yet?

[broken link removed]

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

I wonder when the other EU countries are seeking an exception from the freedom of movement/residency for Irish citizens so that they don’t need to take all of the refugees in.

I have purchased a dinghy that will bring me over to wales in case the airports/sea ports and the border up north will be closed when the riots start.

Now in depended from riots scenario a good Basic Emergency Supply Kit is at my home for the case of minor natural catastrophes (like snow or an earthquake and the regular power outages in my area), that is basic preparedness.

So how long will fresh food supplies hold out because of the volcano ash stopping flights? I doubt that lettice is shipped in containers.

If the ash cloud lasts a few more days, are we likely to start seeing shortages... dun dun duh!

And our government is taking this aspect very seriously:

Taoiseach Brian Cowen said this afternoon it was impossible to have a contingency plan in place for events such as the Icelandic volcano.
I’m sure given that they don’t go shopping themselves they don’t have a clue how much of our groceries are actually from outside Ireland.

Or maybe I just have taken his quote out of context to fit my own purpose because I’m starting a political party “This is my Ireland too” and I train political speech.

In any case, I have always advocated a good Basic Emergency Supply Kit and loads of people laugh at it, but if the weather changes and the ashes come down on us causing traffic to stop I’m not going to share my kit!

oh, masks so that I can breathe if the cloud comes down over us!
link; [broken link removed]

but I ordered it over the internet from the US :(

Just looking at this old thread.
Are we getting closer to civil unrest?

Has anyone started stock-piling yet? I've seen posts where people are safe guarding their savings, so will stock-piling be the next step?

"If you're in a camp and a bear attacks, you don't have to be faster than the bear. You only have to be faster than the slowest camper"

It will be interesting to see what the next budget brings.

There's been no social unrest so far. Will there be a breaking point?

There won't be any social unrest. Ireland as a nation has become very subservient.

As long as the folk have their PS3s, Sky TV, XBox, X Factor and Strictly, they will put up with a lot.

RMCF is right. There will be no social unrest. During the Cork Jazz Festival I was informed that the last time there were more than 10,000 on Cork streets protesting it was in support of the Cork GAA team dispute.

And we are about to qualify for Euro 2012, we have the X-Factor, good provincial rugby teams etc - all keep us from protesting.

It will be interesting to see what the next budget brings.

There's been no social unrest so far. Will there be a breaking point?

Problem with the next budget will be that many of the changes will be subtle. For example, people might protest if their PAYE tax bill was suddenly increased by 2-3k overnight, but if you increase 50 stealth taxes and spread that over the course of a year, then the effect is not as obvious. Likewise if there is a clampdown on SW abuse as opposed to simply cutting rates across the board.
Cynic in me also wonders will budget week be the week the Anglo bankers finally get charged?

As long as the folk have their PS3s, Sky TV, XBox, X Factor and Strictly, they will put up with a lot.

RMCF is right....the last time there were more than 10,000 on Cork streets protesting it was in support of the Cork GAA team dispute.

And we are about to qualify for Euro 2012, we have the X-Factor, good provincial rugby teams etc - all keep us from protesting.

Im sure we could easily rustle up 10, 000 to protest against X-Factor and "Strictly" et al being shown :rolleyes:

Back